PDA

View Full Version : Axis Magazine Update

J.Baker
01-29-2019, 02:03 PM
Last spring someone came on and posted the below photo of a new style DBM for the Axis rifles (on the right). He had purchased it online as a replacement/extra and this was what he received. Since then there's been no other mention or sightings of this new magazine type - until now!

After sneaking down to the basement and taking my Enigma machine out of hiding I used it to contact my spies at Savage to get the skinny and here's what he had to say.

This is a new magazine style for the Axis/Trophy lines – basically anything that uses the plastic magazine base. Aside from the “Savage” logo molded in, the latch is a big upgrade. The newer style has a “divorced” latch that is pinned into the magazine bottom with a small coil spring in between. This newer style latches in with a much more positive hold. Either magazine style will work in any of the guns designed for the magazines with the plastic bottoms. These are being rolled out going forward, to my knowledge so folks may see both styles mixed out in the field for a short amount of time as the older style gets phased out.

They are backwards compatible on the vast majority of models. I can’t say all because we had some troubles with the older long action calibers wood stocks on Axis models.

celltech
01-29-2019, 02:33 PM
Would be nice if we could just buy the bottom cover as an upgrade...

Swissfan
01-29-2019, 03:41 PM
I purchased a few of the bottoms on fleabay a couple of months ago. They were about $8 each.

J.Baker
01-29-2019, 10:48 PM
While not relevant to the Axis models, I'm told they're probably going looking to upgrade the magazine retention design on the A and B-series rimfire magazines as well.

Newtosavage
02-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Time will tell if they are really an upgrade, or just more unnecessary moving parts. I've never had the first issue with the old plastic clip style myself, but if it really is better, then I'm game.

farmer44mag
03-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Haven’t broken any of my 7 either and they are a tight fit.

magman2
05-11-2019, 10:50 AM
I've been forced to use them for several months now in my high capacity builds as they are the only mag bottom plastic available from savage now. The part is available from
savage as part number 112914

Z09SS
05-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Any word on when these will start showing up in stores? Are they the same part number as the old model? Is this just short action for now?

Frontier Gear
05-21-2019, 12:19 AM
They are out there. I bought two Axis’s in 223 and one in 7mm-08. The 223’s has the old style, and the 7mm-08 had the new.