PDA

View Full Version : Savage 260 LRP Accuracy

Pages : 1 [2]

rmkey
02-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Thanks Sage Rat Shooter! I won’t forget. Makes sense if you can heat but without heating the barrel it will expand slightly. All my guns have the square notched but.

SageRat Shooter
02-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Thanks Sage Rat Shooter! I won’t forget. Makes sense if you can heat but without heating the barrel it will expand slightly. All my guns have the square notched but.

That's pretty much it... The heating not only expands the nut a bit, but it also loosens up any "gunk" that might have gotten into the threads when they put the barrel on at the factory.

charlie b
02-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Thanks Randy! I will try a different primer where I am but I will be very surprised if a primer makes the difference but they say it can. Then I will do a seating test maybe between yours and Berger say in .020 increments beginning at .020 since I already have .010.The primer can make a difference, especially when trying to get below 1/2MOA. Many things can affect groups when at that level. Even reloading setups, like the sizing die and its setting and case lengths, case neck thicknesses, etc, etc. Make sure everything is the same every time you do it. Even how you clean the bore and how many rounds you use for fouling shots.

I knew one benchrest shooter who would end up 'testing' each case. He would note where each shot went and would pick the cases that shot the smallest groups. Meticulous attention to detail. His goal was 0.2" 10 round groups. Truly a one hole target. He would use the same ten cases as long as he could.

He also ended up shooting cast bullets because it was more of a challenge to him. I learned about fire lapping from him as well. This was back in the 80's. We spent a lot of time making up specific lead alloys and heat treating techniques for him to try.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

rmkey
02-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Thanks Charlie B. Your right about all of that. I have read Zediker’s book and Secrets of the Houston Warehouse. It’s one thing to read another to put into practice. I record all the brass and load parameters. I have all the tools but find it isn’t necessary to neck turn Lapua but I do true up Winchester and Hornady. If I get to an accuracy node with seating and charge I will also try brands of primers. I have WLR, CCI br and Remington on hand. Your friend is a true Benchrest shooter at 10 shot .2 moa. I doubt I could shoot that well even with a Benchrest setup. 3 shots possibly -not 10. I would love to need the challenge of cast bullets as for now the best jacketed are giving me fits in the 260 but I am not done still a few more things to try before going to custom. As stated earlier I am at .65 if I can get it to .5 I will be satisfied and move on to a 6 br custom on another rifle. Do you think primers could make enough difference to show up at .65?

charlie b
02-01-2019, 05:34 PM
It might. I have found that CCI BR primers are the best in my .308. I use Rem BR primers in my .223 that is a 1/2MOA rifle. I cannot shoot better than 1/2 MOA so don't know about getting below that.

Yep, seems the benchrest guys are never happy with a group of any size :)

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

CFJunkie
02-02-2019, 10:37 AM
rmkey,

I've measured the group size averages with my 6.5mm loads based upon primers and brass over 1198 measured groups and have found that primers make a difference.

Small Rifle Primers: (Lapua Brass)
CCI BR-4 - best accuracy
CCI 400 - 10.6% larger average group size at 100 yards.
Fed 205M - 47.9 larger average group size at 100 yards.

Large Rifle Primers: (Norma and Hornady Brass - 0.001 difference in average between the two brass types - no measurable difference due to brass)
Fed 210M - 20.6% larger average group size at 100 yards.

rmkey
02-12-2019, 01:25 AM
Well I have done the Tubbs procedure but did not use the courser bullets. Most of the tool marks are gone. Tubbs number 5 bullets are actually 140 SMK treated with HBN which is what I treat my bullets with anyway. The KG12 removed all traces of copper. Have not had chance to resume group testing yet but when I do I will use 130 Berger Hybrids. After listening to Berger the seating depth is not critical as they are designed to shoot well at magazine coal. Guess I will start there and decrease jump in increments. If I can average 0.5 moa I will leave the barrel alone.

rmkey
02-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Duh. Checked the action screws. Might have had 2-5 inch lbs torque. Would have thought they would have been torqued properly at the factory. Torqued to 30 lbs. posted so someone buying a new gun will be sure they are snugged up.

mnbogboy2
02-13-2019, 01:26 PM
I worked up a load for my son's B-I-L, a new 6.5-284 with accufit stock. First thing I do is pull the stock, factory finger tight....any pillared stock IMHO should be at least 30 in/lbs..put it back to 45 front, 35 rear...1/2" groups right away before developement..
With most pillared stocks those torqued should maintain. The plastic Tupperware stocks are more suseptable to loosening because they bend between the screws at recoil.