PDA

View Full Version : Does Boyds Make At-One Stock for the new 110 Desert Tactical?

Pages : [1] 2

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Hi all! NewSavage 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5 Crredmoor owner here, and new member on this board. I've been checking Boyd's website for an At-One stock for this (new model) rifle and I'm a little confused on all the difference variations of the Savage rifles and which Boyd's stock will fit it. I sent am email to Boyd's asking this same question but it could take days to get a response according to their website. In the mean time, can anyone shed any light on this? I did a search but have yet to find anyone who's put a Boyd's At-One stock on this exact 110 Desert Tactical rifle.

Apollo117
01-24-2019, 05:44 PM
Skip the Boyd's and get a KRG Bravo.

Scratch that. I forgot KRG doesn't offer the Bravo for Savage actions.

Carry on with the Boyd's.

J.Baker
01-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Just need a 4.40 top bolt release short-action stock inlet for DBM and a heavy barrel. I'm sure you can find something in their menu that fits that bill.

Edit: I think all the AT-One's come with a sporter barrel channel. Not hard to open it up for a heavy barrel though, you'd just need to reseal the barrel channel with some Tru-Oil after you open it up.

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Got a reply from them yesterday... they don't make a At-One stock for the Savage 110 Desert Tactical... yet. One of the pitfall of buying a new model rifle I guess. :(

AHC222
01-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Got a reply from them yesterday... they don't make a At-One stock for the Savage 110 Desert Tactical... yet. One of the pitfall of buying a new model rifle I guess. :(
As J.Baker said above, you can get an At-One for your rifle. New Savage 110 Desert Tacticals are 4.4" bolt spaced, top bolt release, model 10 actions. You'll want the detachable bottom metal option.

Under Build and Price at the top, Select: Savage, 10 Top Bolt Release, and SA - Detachable Magazine.

The Boyds customer service rep must not know the correct specs of the new Savage 110 Tacticals, possibly believing it's the older Long Action 110?

However, one hangup besides the barrel profile J.Baker mentioned above, is that you might have to do some light sanding/file work to inlet for the bottom metal. With the new AICS bottom metal you might get a slightly different fit than the older Savage proprietary bottom metal the previous 10's came with. Someone here might be able to answer this better.

J.Baker
01-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Boyds offers stocks for thousands of different rifles/shotguns, their rep's can't be expected to know each and every model intimately to know what will and won't fit. Answering a phone and taking someone's order isn't a skilled position, it's an unskilled job. Same reason the phone jockeys at Savage and most every other company out there usually don't seem to have a clue about their own products. They only know what the computer screen tells them.

Note that your Scout's barrel will be a little small for a heavy barrel channel, and a little big for a sporter (factory) barrel channel. It will drop right into the heavy channel, but you'll have a big gap on either side. Won't hurt nothing, just looks a little odd. Alternately you can easily open the sporter/factory barrel channel as needed to fit your slightly larger barrel. Easy to do and shouldn't take but 10-15 minutes with various grits of sandpaper and a couple deep well sockets to wrap it around. Just remember to re-seal the barrel channel where you sanded with some Tru-Oil finish.

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 04:30 PM
Thank you!

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 04:32 PM
Boyds offers stocks for thousands of different rifles/shotguns, their rep's can't be expected to know each and every model intimately to know what will and won't fit. Answering a phone and taking someone's order isn't a skilled position, it's an unskilled job. Same reason the phone jockeys at Savage and most every other company out there usually don't seem to have a clue about their own products. They only know what the computer screen tells them.

Note that your Scout's barrel will be a little small for a heavy barrel channel, and a little big for a sporter (factory) barrel channel. It will drop right into the heavy channel, but you'll have a big gap on either side. Won't hurt nothing, just looks a little odd. Alternately you can easily open the sporter/factory barrel channel as needed to fit your slightly larger barrel. Easy to do and shouldn't take but 10-15 minutes with various grits of sandpaper and a couple deep well sockets to wrap it around. Just remember to re-seal the barrel channel where you sanded with some Tru-Oil finish.

Good info and much appreciated! :)

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 04:34 PM
As J.Baker said above, you can get an At-One for your rifle. New Savage 110 Desert Tacticals are 4.4" bolt spaced, top bolt release, model 10 actions. You'll want the detachable bottom metal option.

Under Build and Price at the top, Select: Savage, 10 Top Bolt Release, and SA - Detachable Magazine.

The Boyds customer service rep must not know the correct specs of the new Savage 110 Tacticals, possibly believing it's the older Long Action 110?

However, one hangup besides the barrel profile J.Baker mentioned above, is that you might have to do some light sanding/file work to inlet for the bottom metal. With the new AICS bottom metal you might get a slightly different fit than the older Savage proprietary bottom metal the previous 10's came with. Someone here might be able to answer this better.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 04:45 PM
One more quick question... can I use the DBM from the accustock that came with my 110 Desert Tactical or do I need to purchase that piece separately? Sorry, new guy to the savage bolt action game.

Orezona
01-29-2019, 05:46 PM
Sorry, not an answer, but a question. Are you having issues with the Accustock?

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Sorry, not an answer, but a question. Are you having issues with the Accustock?

No. I'm just not a fan of "plastic" stocks.:o

Orezona
01-29-2019, 06:18 PM
No. I'm just not a fan of "plastic" stocks.:o

Roger that. Is it the new Accufit, Accustock? Have you shot your rifle?

jpdown
01-29-2019, 07:37 PM
One more quick question... can I use the DBM from the accustock that came with my 110 Desert Tactical or do I need to purchase that piece separately? Sorry, new guy to the savage bolt action game.

I have a Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. As already mentioned, the new AICS compatible metal DBM frame assembly (surround) used in this model with Accufit-Accustock is not a drop-in fit for Savage wood stocks (ex. Boyd's) that have the current center feed DBM inlet. It will require some Dremel work to remove wood from the bottom of the inlet so that the AICS DBM frame assembly sets flush with the stock bottom and the bolt head will strip cartridges from the magazine.

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 08:08 PM
Roger that. Is it the new Accufit, Accustock? Have you shot your rifle?

Yes it is and yes I have but only 60 rounds so far.

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 08:10 PM
I have a Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. As already mentioned, the new AICS compatible metal DBM frame assembly (surround) used in this model with Accufit-Accustock is not a drop-in fit for Savage wood stocks (ex. Boyd's) that have the current center feed DBM inlet. It will require some Dremel work to remove wood from the bottom of the inlet so that the AICS DBM frame assembly sets flush with the stock bottom and the bolt head will strip cartridges from the magazine.

Doesn't sound very difficult. I'm pretty handy with a Dremel. Do you still have the Accufit-Accustock or did you replace it with a Boyd's stock?

jpdown
01-29-2019, 09:26 PM
I like wood and usually replace Savage Tupperware stocks. But, my Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor shoots 0.5” groups or better with handloads and almost as good with Hornady 105 BTHP in factory ammo. No need to replace the stock. The Accufit-Accustock is a very good factory stock with no forearm flex used on some Savage models. And the Accufit features make it a very comfortable, user friendly stock. I’ve pillar and glass bedded all the Boyd’s stocks I’ve purchased over the years for best accuracy potential. My thoughts on masking the “plastic look” is to spray the desert tan stock with Krylon black webbing paint. This would give the stock a more expensive custom look and add some texture for better grip when wet.

Desert Tactical Nimrod
01-29-2019, 09:42 PM
I like wood and usually replace Savage Tupperware stocks. But my Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor shoots 0.5” groups or better with handload and almost as good with Hornady 105 BTHP in factory ammo. No need to replace. IMO, the Accufit-Accustock is a very good factory stock with no forearm flex. And the Accufit features make it a user friendly stock. IMO, you will need to pillar and glass bed a Boyd’s stock for best accuracy potential. My thoughts on masking the “plastic look” is to spray the desert tan stock with Krylon black webbing paint. This would give the stock a more expensive custom look and some texture for better grip when wet.

Interesting suggestion. I'm not familiar with that paint. What would the durability be? Will it last?

jpdown
01-29-2019, 10:09 PM
If stock is clean and degreased (acetone), the webbing paint will hold up well on plastic stock. Over time it will wear off in grip area, just touch up. If I get tired of look or mess up, the webbing paint can be removed with acetone soaked rag.

J.Baker
01-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Took me a bit to dig it up, but here's a good post showing the modifications that have to be made to a stock inlet for the standard bottom metal to accept Savage's new AICS bottom metal.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?62348-Savage-Frankenstein-10BA-Stealth-Action-into-a-12VLP-Stock-Using-a-110-Tactical-DBM-AICS-Bottom