PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Left handed 300 WSM for grandson question

Bigstone
01-24-2019, 02:38 PM
A friend has a model 11 Savage in .300 WSM that he will sell me cheap but I have no use for it in that caliber. My grandson is 13Yrs and left handed and I'd like to build this model 11 into a useful caliber for him with him doing some of the build. I'm thinking a .260 Rem. or 6.5 CM would be nice for him to grow into. (He has a .243 axis now) This will be my first barrel swap. To make the conversion what rifle components and tools do I need to acquire to get this rifle change over? Any help here would be most appreciated. I'm sure there ill be more latter.

Bigstone

Swissfan
01-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Ad far as tools needed, barrel nut wrench, action wrench or barrel vise and go/no-go gauges. Parts you will need, bolt head and possibly a magazine. You may be able to adjust feed lips to work properly with different cartridge. You will need to check if the Model 11 is a standard(small) shank or large shank before purchasing a barrel and I think some of the WSMs came as controlled round feed, so you will need to verify that also. If it is controlled round feed, you may have to do some modification to the new bolt head.

It is pretty easy to swap barrels, especially once you have one under your belt.

I am actually wanting to convert one of mine to 260 Rem., or if I can just find the complete rifle in 260 I would just do that.

SageRat Shooter
01-24-2019, 04:16 PM
My Vote is go 260 Remington.... I'm not biased at all either... ;) Everything Swissfan said is accurate. I also suggest going through NSS for your barrel. I'm a Criterion Barrel fan myself, but he's got Shilen as well.

J.Baker
01-25-2019, 12:20 AM
Parts needed will be dependent on when the gun was made and if it's centerfeed or staggered feed. Newer centerfeed magnums use a bolt head with thicker lugs and a front baffle with thinner lugs. The firing pin assembly on these is unique to this setup as well.

Bigstone
02-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Well my deal fell thru so I'm now back to looking. Thanks for all your replies. In the mean time I'll look for the necessary tools. Anybody care to point me to a good vise to buy?

J.Baker
02-06-2019, 05:27 PM
I personally have the Ken Farrell barrel vice and am very happy with it, but he's jacked his prices WAY up in the last year or two. Think I paid $140 or 150 for mine when I got it, now they're $221 through Brownells. I know there's a few guys here using the Viper barrel vise as well.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/vises-accessories/barrel-vises/index.htm