PDA

View Full Version : Savage Lightweight Hunter wood stock - ouch!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Apollo117
03-05-2019, 01:45 PM
5816Great looking rifle.

Are the back rings touching the magnification dial? They look awfully close, but it's hard to tell from the image.

Newtosavage
03-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Great looking rifle.

Are the back rings touching the magnification dial? They look awfully close, but it's hard to tell from the image.

They were close but not quite. The mag. dial will - just - fit in the little valley in the Weaver base if you're using the low quad-lock rings.

Funny thing - I replaced those Weaver bases and rings with Talley lows, and I was concerned whether the mag dial would clear. When I got them in, I realized the mag dial on that Freedom series was just a hair too large diameter to clear on the low Talleys if I wanted it that far forward. When I replaced the VX-Freedom in the pic. with the VX-2 2-7x33, the mag dial "just" cleared the base portion of the Tikka rings, as I had hoped it would. I was tickled to say the least. So I mounted it up only to discover that the little black allen head screw that secures the mag dial in place, made contact with the base as it was rotated to it. Easy fix though. I pulled that screw and filed a half mm off of it, then blued it with a cold blue pen and reinstalled it. And it worked perfectly. The mag ring on my new scope clears by a gnat's hair and the scope is nice and low and forward where I want it.

I'll try to post some new pics of the final (final) setup with the Talley low rings and VX-2 scope. It's pretty darn sweet.

Honestly, I like that model 10 action in the LWH stock more than I do the LWH action. Cleaner lines to me.