PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 in 338WinMag

Con
10-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Guys,
Been offered a Savage 111 in 338Win Mag. Anyone using one that can comment on what they're like?

Considering buying it just to add an Adams & Bennet barrel in 35Whelen ... but rechambered to 358Norma. ;D

Bad addiction these Savage barrel swaps!
Cheers...
Con

ellobo
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I built a .35 Whelen on an older 110 action. Added a used factory laminate stock. Used an Adams and Bennett barrel on sale at the time for $89.95. Shoots MOA with green box el cheapo Remington 250 grain soft points. Love that cartridge and rifle. Shoots smaller groups with my reloads. I dont feel the need for anything more potent, but then again I dont take 600 yard shots.
El Lobo

Con
10-11-2010, 12:06 AM
ellobo,
I'm based in Australia. Adams & Bennett barrels only became available here a few months back ... we pay $235 for them ... yes our dollar in near parity but we wont discuss that. :-X I had a 358Win A&B barrel docked at 20" then fitted it to my Stevens 200. Gunsmith that did the docking wanted to know how it shot ... first 5 shots of factory 358Win with 200gr SilverTip went 1.6" wide by 0.9" high. Take the flyer out and it came back to 1.2" wide and 0.4" high. That's with no bedding or tinkering. ;D

My gunsmith just shook his head and kept uttering "How do they do them so cheap!" Local equivalent to supply/blue/thread/chamber a barrel will cost $480 minimum.

Needless to say ... I'm happy with the A&B barrels and will be buying more ... just wish the 458" blanks were still available. :'(

The rifle I've been offered is blued, 24" barrel with sights, Magna-ported, bedded and trigger worked in factory synthetic. I think its too good a bargain to pass up ... time for another Savage! ;)
Cheers...
Con

358Hammer
10-11-2010, 12:23 AM
I have several and two shoot all bullets touching with 200 and 225 Accubonds ( Savage factory barrels). 1" @ 200 yards.

The third hasn't been shot as the bore was rusty when I bought the gun.

358 Norma is sure a fine round. I will be happy to take that 338 Win Mag barrel off your hands if it is pit free and reasonably priced.

Neal

khuff
10-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Con,

Greetings mate!

You commented about .458 WM not being available, they are, only by E R Shaw $200.99 = blued barrel, Go/NoGo guages, barrel wrench (1-14twist Magnum contour). I called and they can export it to you UPS.

Con
10-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Con,

Greetings mate!

You commented about .458 WM not being available, they are, only by E R Shaw $200.99 = blued barrel, Go/NoGo guages, barrel wrench (1-14twist Magnum contour). I called and they can export it to you UPS.

Oh! That's interesting!! Could you PM me a direct contact number and email please? The US State Dept has made getting any firearm related goodies very tough out of the USA ... the export license costs on the US side have made many outlets close shop to exporting. I used to order frequently from Grafs (reloading dies), now they want a US$500 minimum order! :o SSS likewise can no longer export. :'( Some other outlets will though if under US$100. Regarding the A&B barrels ... I'm considering grabbing the Mauser prefit barrels in 458WinMag and having its shank recontoured and threaded for the Savage action ... but if ER Shaw will export it'd be so much easier as our importation paperwork is simple to obtain and import duties don't kick in until $1000 value is exceeded.

Its a sad day when Afghanistan and Australia are lumped in the same boat though. Mind you ... I think some importers here like it that way ... exclusive distributorships bump up prices accordingly.
Cheers...
Con