PDA

View Full Version : New Member with 110 30-06 Question

JHutch808
01-15-2019, 04:22 AM
I have a 25 or so year old 110 30-06 I got when I was 18, serial # F109XXX. It has the original basic wood stock and was very accurate many years ago. I am wanting to see about replacing the stock with something a little better and maybe do a few other improvements. Any suggestions for a stock with good bedding, etc? Thank you for any help.

strut64
01-15-2019, 04:50 AM
Check out Boyds Stocks. I have one just like yours on my safe. Good shooter.

GaCop
01-15-2019, 08:05 AM
I too give a vote to Boyds. You will have to glass bed or install pillars in a Boyds stock but once bedded properly, they're AWESOME.

Buck_Up
01-15-2019, 11:01 AM
X3 on the Boyds. Looks great, but feels even better. Have same stock on my 110, pillars were easy

JHutch808
01-18-2019, 01:55 AM
Thank you for the quick replies. I was tossing around going to another wood stock and then doing the glass and pillars or one of the aluminum bedded Bell & Carlson or others if there was one that would work. I live and hunt in the Pacific Northwest, which means lots of temp variations along with loads of moisture. Those Boyd's stocks are beautiful though.

J.Baker
01-18-2019, 01:39 PM
If you want synthetic with an aluminum bedding block you'll be hard pressed to beat a Bell & Carlson for the money. Synthetic stock options for Savage's are few and far between, and most of the other options (McMillan, Manners, Stockade, etc.) are going to be a long wait and/or cost you nearly twice as much.

Just be glad you aren't a lefty, the pickin's for us southpaws is even slimmer.

JHutch808
01-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Pretty sure mine is a top release model and I see on their site that it matters when ordering a stock. To remove the bolt I press the small lever next to the bolt while simultaneously pulling the trigger.

big honkin jeep
01-18-2019, 07:45 PM
Welcome. Sounds like an old "flatback" from the mid to late 1990s (so called because of a flat milled into the rear of the action where the rear scope mount sits)
If it's accurate Shoot it and enjoy it. Maybe tune up the trigger and bed the existing stock. Lots of tips here for tuning them up.

Yep they're top release,

JHutch808
01-18-2019, 08:16 PM
Yes, the rear of the action is absolutely flat. I was also thinking about doing something with the trigger as well. Thank you for the info.

tobnpr
01-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Depends on your "taste".
When correctly bedded, a wood/laminate stock is every bit as dimensionally stable in the receiver area as a chassis or aluminum bedding block.
Plenty of high-dolla benchrest rifles with wild color laminate schemes in competitions...

Clear epoxy coatings, or many coats of good 'ol Tru-Oil will protect the wood from moisture.

Since weight is a concern, lightweight composite stocks will usually get the edge over the heavier laminates or hardwoods.

JHutch808
01-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all information. Just got off the phone with Bell & Carlson and have a new Olive Drab w/ Black Webbing Medalist on the way. Once I get that on and dialed, I will decide on the rest of stuff I may want to change. Maybe a trigger and who knows, maybe a new match grade barrel at some point.

JHutch808
01-31-2019, 06:12 PM
New stock came in. Just a little light dremel work on one little spot for clearance along with on the front screw to shorten it a couple threads and all good. Now to test fire it.

JHutch808
01-31-2019, 06:19 PM
I'll post pics if I can figure it out.

JHutch808
01-31-2019, 10:03 PM
It definitely shoots quite a bit more comfortably. Now I just got to get that very old Leupold Vari-X II 3×9 off of it and put something from this century on it. Love the glass on my Vortex Viper HD binos, so maybe something from that line.

CFJunkie
02-01-2019, 08:56 AM
Bell & Carlson Medalist was a good choice. I put one on a Rem 700 to replace factory Tupperware about 7 years ago.
Improved group size average and has weathered well.

Good shooting.