PDA

View Full Version : My First Savage and this happens....

Battle Creek
01-06-2019, 07:01 PM
I went to remove the screws on my scope rail to determine if they were 6/32 or 8/32 in order to buy a 20 MOA rail. I was happy to see they were now 8/32 Torx...but there's a big problem.

I noticed the screws were very loose and the one closest to the barrel seemed a bit long for the hole. Actually, both forward screw hole look pretty shallow. I put the rail on top of the receiver and installed the front screw only. Crap! the rail is loose! and the screw is tight. yea thats right, bottomed out and the rail is loose on the receiver. I looked at all the screws and they're all the same length.

Savage shipped this knowing the front screws will bottom out before the rail even tightens up. i'm calling Savage . This is stupid. What else is wrong with this gun? I thought Savage was supposed to be pretty good. Fundamental flaw like this is poor QC.

Jimhoag
01-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Call them up. I've found their customer service is pretty good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Robinhood
01-06-2019, 08:55 PM
This is a well known issue. The front hole goes into the barrel threads and the screw is often too long needing to be ground/cut down until it secures the rail as you seem to already be aware of testing. Not many rifles come with any a rail or 8/32 tapped holes and with screws. Fix it or see if savage has the right screw. As for future problems with your Savage, but if you are concerned or anxious you could always sell it and buy a green rifle.

deerhunter99
01-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Yes I had the same thing, so I got to be a gunsmith for a night, I ground them down to fit boy did I have fun !!!!

ttexastom
01-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Welcome from northeast georgia

drybean
01-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Welcome aboard

henryholub
01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Welcome! Been there with a different rifle. Just ground down the screws and moved on

big honkin jeep
01-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Pretty sure that it comes with different length screws and all you need to do is put the short one in the front. I know you said you checked them all but maybe check them again.
There isn't much difference in them at all. Several years ago I made the same mistake with a 10TR that came from Savage with an EGW mount supplied in the box.