PDA

View Full Version : Build or Buy

Darrell
01-05-2019, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone my name is Darrell and I am new here.

Been hunting and shooting for years, Bullseye, 10 M air pistol, centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles, shotguns, I enjoy it all.

I have owned centerfire rifles made by Rem., CZ, Mauser, Bergara, Winchester, and probably a few others I can’t think of right now.

Recently, I purchased my first savage, a model 16 Trophy Hunter XP in .223. I must admit I have been very impressed. It’s primary purpose is coyote hunting. My only complaint is the tupperware stock. However, despite the flex in the forearm area it shoot remarkably well for a sportier. Most 3 shot groups are 1/2 MOA or just a trade over. It hasn’t shot a 5 shot group over a MOA, and the vast majority are under .75 MOA or a bit less. I did ditch the Nikon scope for better glass. In the past I have shot it off front and rear bags. Today I tried my bipod but it only took two groups to determine that wasn’t going to work. Actually, I didn’t expected it would but I wanted to try it just to find out for sure.

I like this rifle so well I am considering buying another Savage as a target rifle. Pretty much narrowed it down to either a LRPV, BVSS in .223 Rem., or build of my own using the right bolt, left port target action.

I would love to hear your experiences, suggestion and opinionson regarding build verses buy a factory rifle.

Actually, it appears that I can buy a factory rifle for less than building one. However, if I build I will go with a 22” heavy barrel and a stock with an adjustable cheek.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on mounting the 3 screw target action in a Bell and Carlson Tactical Metalist style 2 blind magazine stock by leaving the middle action bolt out to do so.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s.

PS, Lots of great reading here. Thanks to all that contribute.

Darrell

charlie b
01-05-2019, 11:51 PM
I am a fan of Savage rifles. My first was an Axis HB in .223. It now has a Boyd's stock and Vortex DB scope. It is a less than MOA rifle as well, after I put a few hundred rounds through it.

My BVSS is in .308 It has been near MOA for the first hundred rounds. Turns out the stainless barrel was a bit 'rough' (even after a break in) and built up copper quickly until I did some work on it with bore paste. I suspect the stainless barrel is also a bit 'tougher' than the Axis barrel so took a bit more work. FWIW, Savage says their varmint rifles are good to 1MOA so getting better than that is a toss up, although many do.

Not sure what you mean by 3 screw action. Mine has three screws but one is just to hold the trigger guard on (the BVSS has a blind magazine). The other two screws hold in the action. Maybe the single shot actions have a third screw because of lack of cut out for the magazine? If so then you'd have to contact a stock mfg to see if they make something to fit.

FWIW, if you are serious about competition then you might just want to go the build route so you can be guaranteed of better accuracy from the start.

NicfromAlabama
01-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Not sure what you mean by 3 screw action.

The single shot target models have 3 action screws. Some target actions have the 4.41" spacing and I think the ones with dual ports have a 3.44" spacing.

If you have your heart set on a LRPV, I do know you can most likely build one for approximately what a factory rifle would cost. I came close to doing this recently as I thought about using a target action for the 6mm BR barrel I ordered. The HS Precision stock can be bought for about $400. Action is about $550 last I looked. Maybe less if you look or could find an individual selling one. Another $350 for an aftermarket barrel and you are in the ballpark for what a factory LRPV costs, maybe a bit more. The upside is you can pick a nicer barrel than what most likely will be on the Savage.

The BVSS you can probably do the same.

I would opt to put one together as long as the price did not far exceed that of a factory rifle. Again, you (should) have a nicer barrel than what is on the factory Savage.

Darrell
01-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I am still undecided but I think I am getting closer.

I have been crunching the numbers and it really hard to beat the value for the money that Savage offers. That is if I get lucky enough to get one that will shoot .5 MOA or less at 100 yards with hand loads.

Currently I can buy a new model 12 LRPV for $1216.55, or the the BVSS for $895.14. If I go the build route it would cost me $1467.11 to build the LRPV, same stock, same action, custom barrel. That includes the cost of the tools needed e.g. an action wrench and go/no go gauges.

If I buy the LRPV and the barrel doesn’t perform up to my expections it would cost me ~ $520.00 to rebarrel it. Again that includes the required tools.

If I buy the BVSS and it doesn’t shoot up to my expectations and therefore rebarrel it, I would be all in at $1415.00. If I get one from the factory that’s a shooter I sure could save a whole lot on money.

I guess you gots see why I am having such a hard time making up my mind.

In the back of my mind there is also the nagging thought that while I am trying to decide which way to go, Savage is going to quit make theses fine rifles. IMO, dropping all of the other short action rifles from their lineup was a huge mistake on Savages part. I sure hope this is just a transition and the short action will be back soon.

charlie b
01-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Yep, it is a tough decision. If you are willing to take the chance it is hard to pass up the factory offering. That's why I bought the BVSS.

NicfromAlabama
01-07-2019, 12:36 AM
You can't go wrong either way. Worst case, you can re-barrel later if you so wish. If you plan to dabble in Savages or even Remages, I would not necessarily factor in tool costs. You can always sell those later.

Bigeclipse
01-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Hello everyone my name is Darrell and I am new here.

Been hunting and shooting for years, Bullseye, 10 M air pistol, centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles, shotguns, I enjoy it all.

I have owned centerfire rifles made by Rem., CZ, Mauser, Bergara, Winchester, and probably a few others I can’t think of right now.

Recently, I purchased my first savage, a model 16 Trophy Hunter XP in .223. I must admit I have been very impressed. It’s primary purpose is coyote hunting. My only complaint is the tupperware stock. However, despite the flex in the forearm area it shoot remarkably well for a sportier. Most 3 shot groups are 1/2 MOA or just a trade over. It hasn’t shot a 5 shot group over a MOA, and the vast majority are under .75 MOA or a bit less. I did ditch the Nikon scope for better glass. In the past I have shot it off front and rear bags. Today I tried my bipod but it only took two groups to determine that wasn’t going to work. Actually, I didn’t expected it would but I wanted to try it just to find out for sure.

I like this rifle so well I am considering buying another Savage as a target rifle. Pretty much narrowed it down to either a LRPV, BVSS in .223 Rem., or build of my own using the right bolt, left port target action.

I would love to hear your experiences, suggestion and opinionson regarding build verses buy a factory rifle.

Actually, it appears that I can buy a factory rifle for less than building one. However, if I build I will go with a 22” heavy barrel and a stock with an adjustable cheek.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on mounting the 3 screw target action in a Bell and Carlson Tactical Metalist style 2 blind magazine stock by leaving the middle action bolt out to do so.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s.

PS, Lots of great reading here. Thanks to all that contribute.

Darrell

I would 100% build! I have been a long time Savage fan but my most recent experience has made me never want to buy a factory savage again. I got a lemon and Savage said they would not help me out since it met their factory specs. I have a thread about this. Anyways, If you build it with decent parts it WILL shoot decent to amazing. If you buy a factory rifle, flip a coin whether it shoots as well as you want it to. I was only hoping for 1 MOA accuracy with mine as a frame of reference. After throwing a custom barrel on, it now shoots sub-.5MOA. You can likely find a used Savage target rifle for way less than new. Shoot it and see if it shoots well enough for you. If not, throw a new barrel on and there ya go. OR you could by a new action (will be quite costly though) and build a rifle off that. If I were to do that, id go with a Remington 700 action though for the great after market support.

Darrell
01-08-2019, 06:35 PM
Thanks Bigeclipes,

Good food for thought. Yes, there is no denying that the is vastly more aftermarket options if you do a Remington build.

I have given a Remage build some consideration but I need to look into it some more. Do you happen to know how long these types of barrels have been available? Thus far I have notice that not all custom barrel manufacturers offer this option. I am a bit concern that when the time comes that I need a new barrel I will discover it was but a passing fad. I may need to start a new thread on this topic.

South Prairie jim
01-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Brother
if your losing accuracy after a hundred rounds you probably have a copper and Carbon issue.
order Bore tech Eliminator and Bore Tech c-4 , scrub that barrel with a bronze brush while your at.

charlie b
01-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Not loosing accuracy, it just wasn't getting better. Removing the copper is required during the break in stages. KG12 is what I like to use. I finally resorted to polishing the barrel, especially the throat, with paste.

Bigeclipse
01-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Thanks Bigeclipes,

Good food for thought. Yes, there is no denying that the is vastly more aftermarket options if you do a Remington build.

I have given a Remage build some consideration but I need to look into it some more. Do you happen to know how long these types of barrels have been available? Thus far I have notice that not all custom barrel manufacturers offer this option. I am a bit concern that when the time comes that I need a new barrel I will discover it was but a passing fad. I may need to start a new thread on this topic.

only time will tell if remage is a passing fad or not but honestly, how often do you plan on switching out the barrel? If pretty often, then yeah...id probably stick with the Savage until Remage is considered to be a lasting solution. If you are like me where you only plan on rebarreling if for some reason you get bored of the caliber and you will likely never wear the barrel out (I only hunt with my rifles), id still go Remington because if that day comes and there is no more remage, you can still have a gunsmith put a normal Remington style barrel on at a reasonable cost.

strut64
01-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Peronally, I get a kick out of being able to take down and rebuild a rifle myself. I have 3 actions ( 2-110 and 1-11) and at last count I have 10 different barrels(2 are duplicate calibers). So I am officially hooked. I too have had numerous different rifles of various makes and calibers. some were of pretty high value and many that were very accurate but, I enjoy my savges as much as any of them.

NicfromAlabama
01-11-2019, 12:57 AM
I see Budsgunshop has .223 target action right bolt/right port for $420 with free shipping.