PDA

View Full Version : Bedded Action and Barrel Swap

kohler
01-04-2019, 11:52 PM
Assuming similar diameter barrels, does changing barrels on an action that has been bedded have any impact on how well the barreled action fits back into the stock with a different barrel?

I have had a T&T’d long action (111) for a year waiting for inspiration of what to do with it. Still no direction. I have a few take off barrels about. To get me closer to a finished state I would consider ordering another Sharp Shooter Monte Carlo Sporter stock and putting on a temporary take off barrel to help get the action bedded. At a later date I just have to settle the final barrel answer and mate it to the stock. This workable?

Stumpkiller
01-05-2019, 12:00 AM
Not if you use the same recoil lug and the barrel profile is similar or thinner than the prior.

Robinhood
01-05-2019, 02:06 AM
If the barrel was not beddeed it will fit fine. If the barrel touches the stock it may not secure to the bedding and some material will need to be removed in the barrel channel.

bsekf
01-05-2019, 11:42 AM
I have all Long Action Stagger Feed Actions and as long as I use a dedicated recoil lug with each stock, I can swap actions between glass bedded/pillars stocks. I have 5 actions and have swapped them around, put a piece of thread around the action to make sure it is firmly against the bedding material. Make sure the tang is floated and I hog the material out of all my barrel channels for better cooling, so have lots of space for the barrel.

Bill

mnbogboy2
01-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Pay close attention to the recoil lug fit. The pin or detent should not allow measurable rotation of the lug. Tight bedding on the bottom & sides of lug could cause a less than perfect fit if the lug position is different from when it was bedded.
Side & bottom clearance built in (layered tape) at bedding will help alleviate this as well as tight fitting lug pin and lug bore. Multi-use lugs (rem-savage) allow more "slop" because of slight major diameter differences in the barrels.
Food for thought.

kohler
01-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful answers and interpreting mobile device type-o’s.