PDA

View Full Version : Savage 6mm creedmoor and Hornady 108 grain match ammo - issues and analysis; blown primers

Pages : [1] 2

miscverb
01-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Hello all, any input or experiences appreciated.

Rifle is a Savage 110 Tactical in 6mm creedmoor, the desert tan model.

Only ammo that has been shot out of it is Hornady 108 grain eld match and Hornady Black 105 grain.

Issue: I have now experienced about a 15% blown primer ratio when shooting the 108 grain, and two broken ejectors. I have experienced no blown primers with the 105 grain.

In speaking with Hornady, they are pointing at the Savage. So I will be shooting some more and saving the ammo, good and bad with blown primers, to send to Hornady for analysis.

Has anyone else experienced this with this combination of rifle and ammo?

Thanks again for any input.

Robinhood
01-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Is the bolt hard to close with the 108's?

celltech
01-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Let's hear about your loading setup...

Texas10
01-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Been there, done that but not on the CM. Take a good look at the clearance between the firing pin and bolt head. I had to order several firing pins and cherry pick the largest to fix the issue with my 12FV. 2 trips back to the factory did no good though I can't complain about their service. Just couldn't identify the issue.

miscverb
01-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Is the bolt hard to close with the 108's?

not that i remember. it did not catch my attention as being hard to close, but going forward i will be paying closer attention to that.

miscverb
01-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Let's hear about your loading setup...

it is factory ammo. hornady 108 grain.

celltech
01-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Are the primers completely blown out, or pierced in the center? The firing pin length can be easly adjusted: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?143-Firing-Pin-Protrusion-Data

miscverb
01-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Are the primers completely blown out, or pierced in the center? The firing pin length can be easly adjusted: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?143-Firing-Pin-Protrusion-Data

completely blown out. i have pictures and will try to figure out how to upload.

celltech
01-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Will be interesting to see the pics. Reading around the web lots of people complain about 6/6.5 Creed eating primer pockets after a couple of loads. I assume your rounds have large primers and are less tolerant of high pressures. Hornady shows those rounds running 2960fps which is at the higher end of load data. Are you able to chrono the rounds? Maybe your headspace is on the looser side combined with these loads.....but dunno.

miscverb
01-02-2019, 11:44 PM
Will be interesting to see the pics. Reading around the web lots of people complain about 6/6.5 Creed eating primer pockets after a couple of loads. I assume your rounds have large primers and are less tolerant of high pressures. Hornady shows those rounds running 2960fps which is at the higher end of load data. Are you able to chrono the rounds? Maybe your headspace is on the looser side combined with these loads.....but dunno.

no luck loading the picture, it is a jpeg. when i do try it ask for a url. not sure what to do with that on this site.

anyway, i have not chrono'd the rounds yet, but will borrow one and give it a shot. as far as the rounds, large primers, etc., these are factory rounds from hornady, 108 grain eld match. no hand loads involved. hornady did tell me the 105 and 108 grain have been loaded at the factory to the same pressure.

celltech
01-02-2019, 11:53 PM
Unless you are a paying member you can't post pics. You could put them on Google docs, share them, and post the URL here....or something to that effect.

miscverb
01-03-2019, 12:18 AM
lets see if this link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp7q68rvtwmxc62/Hornady6mmBadAmmoAgain.JPG?dl=0

lonestardiver
01-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Just a wild thought...where are the ogives of the 108 in comparison to the lands vs. the 105?

sharpshooter
01-03-2019, 01:03 AM
If the 105's are fine, and the 108's are blowing primers, it's self evident. The 108's are higher pressure, despite what Hornady is telling you.

miscverb
01-03-2019, 02:19 AM
Just a wild thought...where are the ogives of the 108 in comparison to the lands vs. the 105?

Humm... I don't have reloading equipment yet to determine ogive, other details, etc., but here are some pics of the bullets. A quick view shows the 108s are longer than the 105s. I measured them with a caliper I had. As far as how this would effect pressure, I have and idea but am not an expert reloader, so any input appreciated.

Thanks guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fqei98y8wlq53c/Hornady6mm105g108g.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jly4x5kymynzvgk/Hornady6mm105g108gLength.JPG?dl=0

miscverb
01-03-2019, 02:19 AM
If the 105's are fine, and the 108's are blowing primers, it's self evident. The 108's are higher pressure, despite what Hornady is telling you.

looks like the bullets are a bit longer too.

lonestardiver
01-03-2019, 07:11 AM
looks like the bullets are a bit longer too.

It is possible 108’s ogive is into the lands causing a pressure spike.

So as a check, chamber a round of the 108 and close the bolt fully and then eject the round. Do you see any marks on the bullet where it could be touching the rifling ?

celltech
01-03-2019, 09:29 AM
It is possible 108’s ogive is into the lands causing a pressure spike.

So as a check, chamber a round of the 108 and close the bolt fully and then eject the round. Do you see any marks on the bullet where it could be touching the rifling ?

You might even coat the ogive area with perm marker first so you can clearly see where it's hitting...if at all.

And if you are willing to sacrifice the round you can turn it into an OAL checker.

92 thou difference for only 3gr heaver is a lot. That is one stretched out bullet or Hornady really wanted to stick it out there.

The pics are a bit low res but it looks like you have a lot of cratered primers as well? Do you see that on the 103’s? Looks like there might be some ejector swipes as well? The blown out ones have all sorts of soot left where the ejector is and a ring has formed on your bolt? Everything sure points to pressure, and no matter what Hornady says you might want to avoid those rounds for now. The 6 Creed is running some really stout specs to beat .243 velocity and are on the bleeding edge…

miscverb
01-03-2019, 12:06 PM
You might even coat the ogive area with perm marker first so you can clearly see where it's hitting...if at all.

And if you are willing to sacrifice the round you can turn it into an OAL checker.

92 thou difference for only 3gr heaver is a lot. That is one stretched out bullet or Hornady really wanted to stick it out there.

The pics are a bit low res but it looks like you have a lot of cratered primers as well? Do you see that on the 103’s? Looks like there might be some ejector swipes as well? The blown out ones have all sorts of soot left where the ejector is and a ring has formed on your bolt? Everything sure points to pressure, and no matter what Hornady says you might want to avoid those rounds for now. The 6 Creed is running some really stout specs to beat .243 velocity and are on the bleeding edge…

here is the marker test. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fsf0plxohcuw9o/Horn6mm105g108gLandTest.JPG?dl=0

i did this several times and the results were consistent. not sure what this means, but the experiment was/is fun to learn. looks like the ring is at different spots on the bullets.

also as a sidebar, i did this with my Ruger 6mm and Browning 6mm. The results were consistent there as well, but the results were different. The results for the Ruger with both 105g and 108g did NOT show a circle pattern around the bullet like it did on the Savage. For the Browning, the results were the same as noted for the Ruger with NO circle pattern around the bullet, but the rounds were distinctly easier to eject on the Browning.

I do not recall if the 108g ever had blown primers with the Ruger or Browning. That will be an upcoming test.

NOT being an expert at all this, at this point would it make sense or be a possibility that the headspace needs to be reset on the Savage? Something else? I will say that overall the extraction of the bullet by opening the bolt on the Savage is more difficult than the Ruger or Browning.

lonestardiver
01-03-2019, 12:19 PM
You can seat the bullet a little deeper for the savage as it sounds like it has a shorter throat than the ruger or browning and is engaging the lands before it is ever fired and that will produce a pressure spike and likely is causing your blown primer issue.