PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Scoping a 1922 Savage 99 in 300 Savage

Pages : [1] 2

DogT
01-02-2019, 07:44 PM
So I've got this break down 99 with the Schnabel fore piece in breakdown version. Haven't a clue which model, but there's the standard 2 screws at the top of the back strap and no others, other than the safety indicator. I've read about the Stith mounts but they look about as rare as hen's teeth and twice as expensive. It's got the ramped rear sight that sorta looks like moose horns and the front is just a straight post pinned in a slot in the front integral to the barrrel. Near as I can tell it's a nice shooter, but I tried for a head shot on a white tail the other day at maybe 40yd and missed. If I'd aimed for the chest I'd have hit it for sure. Thinking about getting a scope on it but don't want to mess up the rifle. It's serial 2444xx and according to what I find it's a 1922 version, but it looks very good except for a small piece of stock chipped out right behind the rear top strap. Love the look and feel of it and would scope another rifle for deer but don't have anything that I can use here in VA. They don't allow 22's of any cartridge. I hate to buy another rifle just to wipe out some of the herd around here. They're all over the place. Wife considers them vermin.

Also where would I find a nice wood storage/travel box for the thing. I saw some nicely made ones on ebay a few years ago, generic, but looks like it would work, but I don't find them anymore.

Mad Dog
01-02-2019, 08:08 PM
You could try a Lightfoot mount, it basically does the same thing as a Stith mount only you can use Redfield/Leupold turn in rings.

It's cheaper than a Stith and by the sounds of things your not trying to keep it period correct anyways so this mount will work for you. It uses the rear tang holes and the rear dovetail where your rear sight sits.

Just google Lightfoot mount and you should be able to find Mike to order one.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/45537.jpg

DogT
01-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Thanks, that looks like it would work, I've got a new Nikon 4-9 I can put on it. Yeah, I just don't want to drill any extra holes in it but am not worrying about making it 'period correct'. Does the mount interfere with ejection, not that it would matter much?

How do I tell what model I have?

DogT
01-03-2019, 06:17 PM
How do I get in touch with Lightfoot? The only search reference I see is on 24hourcampfire.com and I don't subscribe to that forum.

Mad Dog
01-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Hmmm, not sure, the campfire is where he gets most of his orders.

Got an Ebay account? You can get ahold of him through his Stith rear replacement ring.

DogT
01-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Didn't find anything on ebay under Stith rear replacement ring. I may have to register with campfire to get hold of him. Thanks, I like the idea a lot. I'll see what I can do.

Polecat
01-06-2019, 03:49 AM
This is 1 of lightfoots' ebay sales. You should be able to contact him with this listing and ask if he has any lightfoot mounts for 99s available.
eBay item number:

Hope this helps
Lee

DogT
01-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Thanks Lee, I'm not good at navigating ebay. I sent him a message. We'll see.

Big Al1
01-06-2019, 12:24 PM
I've dealt with him, very helpful and nice fellow!

DogT
01-06-2019, 10:49 PM
I got in touch with him through gunbroker, lightfoot-mw. He still makes them. I'll be ordering one. It'll be nice to get a scope on this old 99 without disturbing it. My eyes are not so good with open sights any more. Time to get the cataracts fixed which I've been putting off.

DogT
01-18-2019, 06:12 PM
I got the mount from lightfoot today. Looks like the one in the picture in the second post in this thread. Now how do I get the dovetail sight off and the new one on? Is there a tool for this?

Big Al1
01-18-2019, 07:36 PM
It's dovetailed in, just drift it out with a brass punch and a small hammer.

Mad Dog
01-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Just don't drift it, it's a dovetail, you have to drift it from the left hand side to the right hand side looking down at the barrel at the top.

When you install Mike's scope mount it has to go from the right hand side to the left.

DogT
01-18-2019, 11:22 PM
That's what I've been reading from all the articles I've seen off = left to right, on = right to left from the rear. I've got some Dogwood pieces I may try to drift it out with. It's pretty hard wood. Will the original tang screws be long enough? Can't wait to get this 3-9 Nikon on it. Too bad deer season is over, but they're still all over the yard, I saw 8 of them just down the hill from the house last night about 60 yds away. No one would miss one. They were in the upper garden the other evening, I let the dogs out to chase them off, they do that pretty good.

I've got this Olight 9000 lumen Marauder X7 torch that lights up the whole pasture to the stream which is about 250yds down the hill. I see them there all the time at night. Now if I could just get the wife to hold the light on the deck.

DogT
01-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Installed the device today. It came with instructions, new tang screws and a torx key. Fit fine. I punched out the rear sight with a hard piece of round plastic I had around. New one went in easy enough and includes a set screw to hold it in place if necessary. Now to get some Leopold rings for the thing. Looks like it will work fine. Instructions say with a 40mm scope it needs the high rings. Very helpful.

DogT
01-25-2019, 06:10 PM
I've got the Redfield high rings mounted on the lightfoot device now with the Nikon 3-9. Is there any way to bore sight this thing without a boresight device. I usually can look through the barrel to bore sight rifles, but this one is impossible to do that way. Is my best option to take it to a shop and have them do it? It's a bit chilly to spend much time at the barn range figuring it out and wasting bullets.

J.Baker
01-25-2019, 11:36 PM
A bore sighter is really your only option here.

Model24
01-26-2019, 12:54 AM
If you happen to have a laser sight that you can duct tape to the fore-end, you can line that up with the irons. Then you can line up the scope with the laser.

DogT
01-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Local gun shop said they'd do it gratis. That sounds like a deal.

DogT
01-28-2019, 05:49 PM
Weather was good enough today to get to my 50yd range and it was well on the paper. Only took one adjustment to get the next shot 1" high which should put it at 0 at 100yd. This thing kicks like anything, but I've never shot it 3 times close together before. One time is OK, but the 3rd time put a hurt on my shoulder. I need to load some 165 or 150gr, the guy I got it from gave me 180gr round nose Rems. The third shot was close enough to the second for me. I like it, good enough for head shots. Trigger is not bad.