PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying my savage.

Bascott1
01-02-2019, 11:54 AM
So here's the deal, I've got a savage 116 in 300wm I'm planning on building for a long range elk/ deer gun. Not super worried about weight. Gonna run new bedded stock scope and trigger. The only thing is I know it's an older savage, non accutrigger, non accustock. But it's got a fluted barrel, and muzzle brake like the bear hunter does but with a synthetic stock. Did they make an older version of the bear Hunter? What contour barrel would it have and what are my stock options?

Apollo117
01-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Messed up my original post. I'm on mobile.

Measure the spacing between the two front action screws. Savage has changed the spacing several times and many stock manufacturers make Savage stocks specific to the spacing. Read this post for more details: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

Here's a not comprehensive list of Savage stock suppliers and manufacturers.

Savage - you can buy a replacement stock directly from Savage.

Numrich - supplier. Sells OEM Savage stocks.

Boyds - manufacturer. Makes laminated wood stocks. Kind of heavy IMO.

Stockade - manufacturer. Makes synthetic stocks. Most Stockade stocks are in the 28 to 36 oz range. Stockade would be my choice for the stock on an elk rifle.

McMillan - manufacturer. Makes synthetic stocks. High quality and expensive.

Manners - manufacturer. Makes synthetic stocks. High quality and expensive.

For an elk rifle I'd go with the Stockade, Manners, or McMillan in that order. If these aren't in your budget and you like to DIY then I'd suggest getting an OEM wood stock from Numrich or Savage directly. Take that wood stock and start milling it until it weighs less than 2 pounds. Then paint it with an epoxy paint and sealer.

Lastly, no matter what stock you choose, bed the action or get it bedded. Every single rifle should be bedded.

sharpshooter
01-02-2019, 01:11 PM
It's a long action stagger feed with a magnum contour barrel......that's all you need to know.

deerhunter99
01-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Well nothing to ad here, have fun !!!!