PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Hunter accuracy

Megastink
12-31-2018, 10:48 PM
Three simple questions:

1) How accurate are the LRH 7mm Mag barrels?

2) Can I order one directly from Savage?

3) About what does one cost?

Thanks!

lonestardiver
12-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Not sure how much savage charges, but for about $350-400 you can get an actual match barrel at whatever length you want, custom chamber or throat specifications, etc.

jpdown
01-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Savage Arms won't sell barrel direct. Savage factory barrels are usually sub 1" MOA with handloads. Place a wanted ad in classified section for member with take-off.

charlie b
01-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Savage specifies that their standard barrels are good to 1.5MOA or less and target barrels 1MOA or less. Many are less. My BVSS was right at 1MOA but is getting better with 'age' :) But, as stated, you cannot buy a barrel or even have a barrel replaced by Savage (unless it is new and obviously defective).

If you want better, then plan on some elbow grease when you get the barrel. Savage posts a break in procedure that should help shorten the process. FWIW, some barrels are well below MOA right out of the box, others are not.

If you just need a barrel then the aftermarket match barrels rarely need much of a break in and can be very accurate.

Bigeclipse
01-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Savage specifies that their standard barrels are good to 1.5MOA or less and target barrels 1MOA or less. Many are less. My BVSS was right at 1MOA but is getting better with 'age' :) But, as stated, you cannot buy a barrel or even have a barrel replaced by Savage (unless it is new and obviously defective).

If you want better, then plan on some elbow grease when you get the barrel. Savage posts a break in procedure that should help shorten the process. FWIW, some barrels are well below MOA right out of the box, others are not.

If you just need a barrel then the aftermarket match barrels rarely need much of a break in and can be very accurate.

this x2. You can often find "take-off" barrels used for cheap (most I see are under $100) BUT I would ask myself, why is that person selling their barrel? Is it because it shot poorly or they just wanted to change caliber? There are quite a few barrel makers out there. On the cheap side is ER SHAW and most reports show those shoot sub 1 MOA but typically foul quite easily and are typically harder to clean than a match type barrel. They are basically similar to the Savage factory barrels. Personally, I would look into criterion for pre-fit barrels on North land Shooters website. You can get those for around 300$ and they will be accurate! Other barrel makers such a shilen, bartlein, pac nor, McGowen are also great as well and range anywhere from 350-450$. All of them will certainly shoot under an inch at 100 yards.

want2ride
01-02-2019, 07:11 PM
I got a used 7mm Rem Mag Long Range hunter from a local store that they claimed that they only used to test out a new line of scopes. The owner of the store said" it is a tack driver". I used about 20 rounds of a load I used to shoot in an old browning (160 Gr Sierra Game Kings with 69g H1000) and it shot about an inch... not what I would call a tack driver, but I never did spend the time to work up a load for it. It is impossible to tell just how many rounds they put through the barrel, but I would imagine it wouldn't be a ton. If you are interested, I could sell it for $100 shipped. It wouldn't be worth it for me to sell it for less.

I changed it to a 7x57, so I really don't need it.

If you are interested, I am going to be out of town until Monday, so I may not respond until then if you send one.

Megastink
01-04-2019, 09:09 AM
I got a used 7mm Rem Mag Long Range hunter from a local store that they claimed that they only used to test out a new line of scopes. The owner of the store said" it is a tack driver". I used about 20 rounds of a load I used to shoot in an old browning (160 Gr Sierra Game Kings with 69g H1000) and it shot about an inch... not what I would call a tack driver, but I never did spend the time to work up a load for it. It is impossible to tell just how many rounds they put through the barrel, but I would imagine it wouldn't be a ton. If you are interested, I could sell it for $100 shipped. It wouldn't be worth it for me to sell it for less.

I changed it to a 7x57, so I really don't need it.

If you are interested, I am going to be out of town until Monday, so I may not respond until then if you send one.

id be interested in the barrel. PM sent.

yoda4x4
01-04-2019, 10:32 AM

If you just need a barrel then the aftermarket match barrels rarely need much of a break in and can be very accurate.Charlie - you mentioned that Savage posts a barrel break in procedure. Can you you post a link to it as I can't seem to find it.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

charlie b
01-04-2019, 11:19 AM
In the FAQ section

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214238323-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-

And here is the accuracy info:
https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214237323-What-is-the-expected-accuracy-of-my-centerfire-model-

Here is the list of ammo they use:
https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214237403-What-is-the-recommended-ammunition-for-my-firearm-

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk