PDA

View Full Version : 110 build

Colton
12-21-2018, 01:25 AM
So I’m in the planning stages of building a 6.5 PRC. I have not decided if I’m going to build it on a long action or a short action yet. I’d like to build it off of a 110 7mm mag or 300 WM because they are a dime a dozen and could pick up the rifle for about $250 bucks

Question I have is when ordering a barrel they ask if I want it cut at a standard, large, or target. I’m assuming there magnum cartridges (post 2002) are going to be the large threading??? Or are most rifles the standard? Just don’t want to order a barrel that I can’t find a doner gun for

Thanks for the long read

Colton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strut64
12-21-2018, 08:46 AM
The barrel shank issue can be understood better by going to the home section on this site.. Then go to savage FAQ(frequently asked questions). Then go to page 4 and it will describe barrel shank issue for you. You can identify which barrel shank by external appearence of the barrel nut and barrel itself.

want2ride
12-21-2018, 09:37 PM
A 7mm Rem Mag is just a standard small shank. If that is what you plan to use, then you just need to order a barrel in a small shank also. The large shank is only for target actions and short magnums. I know the 6.5 PRC is a short magnum, but If you call a barrel seller, they should be able to tell you if you need a large shank. My brother-in-law called Northern shooters supply asking about a short mag in a shilen barrel and they told him that savage is the only company that uses a large shank for the short magnums and he wouldn't have a problem with one in a small shank. I would take his advice, but this is your call not mine.

Colton
12-21-2018, 09:41 PM
I think I got it figured out. It comes down to if I want to run a long action or a short action. Short with a factory mag bolt head will be a large and a long action will be a small. I ordered the barrel in a small shank last night. Still early enough to change it but I think I’m gonna go the long action route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk