PDA

View Full Version : My Winter Project: .30-06-> 7mm Rem Mag

Megastink
12-19-2018, 08:27 PM
This winter, I have a craving to build a 7mm Rem Mag. It will be a moderate range deer and bear rifle, and maybe a gun I take on western hunts in the future.

I’m going to start with a 111 in .30-06. My plan is to swap the bolt head, put an aftermarket barrel and stock on it, and eventually bed it. I’ve done barrel and stock swaps before, but never converted a long action to a magnum.

1) Does anyone have a visual aid, or perhaps a video they can share on how to do a bolt face swap on a Savage?

2) Do I need to replace anything else, besides the mag well (blind mag), in order to get it to function? All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, and wish me luck!

micky_blue
12-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Look it up on YouTube. I have watched the videos several times and once when I couldn't figure out the reassembly.

want2ride
12-19-2018, 08:58 PM
The magazine box and follower, and bolthead are the only things you need to change.

Model12BVSS
12-22-2018, 03:29 PM
This winter, I have a craving to build a 7mm Rem Mag. It will be a moderate range deer and bear rifle, and maybe a gun I take on western hunts in the future.

I’m going to start with a 111 in .30-06. My plan is to swap the bolt head, put an aftermarket barrel and stock on it, and eventually bed it. I’ve done barrel and stock swaps before, but never converted a long action to a magnum.

1) Does anyone have a visual aid, or perhaps a video they can share on how to do a bolt face swap on a Savage?

2) Do I need to replace anything else, besides the mag well (blind mag), in order to get it to function? All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, and wish me luck!

if you don’t have your donor action already, I have a 111 Long Action Magnum Boltface action for sale in the classifieds section. I was shooting a 7 Rem mag barrel on it. No need to swap bolt heads. Just throwing it out there.