PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else building a Savage into the 300PRC?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Shortbox4x4
01-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Welcome Dave!

Shortbox4x4
01-05-2019, 02:11 PM
And receiver.... must be able to handle the bolt thrust of the LM.

I ran some numbers in the ballistic calculator, and it's nearly identical to the .338 LM in terms of drop/drift with the 225 ELD-M.
This is due to the published BC of that particular bullet, which seems to be leagues ahead of anything else out there- including Bergers.
I wonder if this BC has been verified??

Put any other boolit into the equation and it doesn't match up to the .338LM. I recently spent nearly a grand getting together components for a .338 LM build and this has given me pause, but I've decided to forge ahead with it. Still much more energy at any range than the .300, should it ever be needed for more than banging a steel plate.

I didn’t verify the numbers b.c. Wise but at 2900fps......from a 100 yard zero I used 13 minutes up for 700 yards (that was just a quick check on a steel plate), 16 min for 800, 19.375 for 900 and 22 min. For 1k yards.

The 225’s Hornady and the 230smk ran neck and neck.

Onto the .338 LM I did a lot of testing on my 70’s made 112V single shot. Had no issues. This was before Savage had a .338LM rifle. I got a new bolt head from Savage and opened it up to .338LM. All worked with no issues.

Steve390Gold
01-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Got 50 pieces of Hornady brass as well as my Hornady match dies. The dies are amazing upon initial inspection. The brass not so much. Very inconsistent in weight. Typical Hornady "quality" regarding the brass

Shortbox4x4
01-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Got 50 pieces of Hornady brass as well as my Hornady match dies. The dies are amazing upon initial inspection. The brass not so much. Very inconsistent in weight. Typical Hornady "quality" regarding the brass

You got the match bushing dies with the micrometer seater? I have those and the standard set. Both are nice. The match bushing dies have been excellent to work with.

I’ll have to weigh my brass out of curiosity but loading and shooting it hasn’t giving me any problems per say.

Steve390Gold
01-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Yuppers!! Two different inserts for different bullet profiles, also has that micrometer seater. Quite impressed.

Steve390Gold
01-21-2019, 01:52 PM
You got the match bushing dies with the micrometer seater? I have those and the standard set. Both are nice. The match bushing dies have been excellent to work with.

I’ll have to weigh my brass out of curiosity but loading and shooting it hasn’t giving me any problems per say.

Did your resizing decapping match die NOT come with any neck bushings at all?

Chrazy-Chris
01-21-2019, 11:17 PM
I'd really like to. My dad and I have plans to set up a 1 mile target out at the farm. For now, I have a 6x45 PRS match rifle I plan to try with 110SMKs and a savage criterion barreled 26" 6.5CM, so neither will make it there over the speed of sound but I'm going to try for now anyways. I might even try 150SMKs in the creedmoor but back on topic...

The challenge has given me an excuse to dream up a "custom budget 1 mile gun" if there ever were such a thing. I've looked at a lot of cartridges and keep coming back to the 300 PRC. I'm thinking buy a 110 w/ magnum bolt face off gunbroker, screw on the longest, heaviest criterion barrel I can find, then drop it into whatever halfway decent used/blem'ed stock or chassis I can find. It'd be nice to not even have to bother with detachable mags.

tobnpr
01-22-2019, 08:37 PM
The challenge has given me an excuse to dream up a "custom budget 1 mile gun" if there ever were such a thing.

Purpose-built ELR sticks, sure...
"Budget", not so much- but depends on what your definition of "budget", is. Can you do it with a factory rifle with an aftermarket prefit? Again, sure- but at ELR every bit of accuracy helps.

I'm putting together a .338 LM (maybe AI, not sure yet). Forget the cost of the rifle itself (as a riflesmith, at least my labor is "free"), consider "support" equipment...

NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1 $3,600 my dream...may need to settle for less- but a real, quality optic is a must for clarity at one mile.
Laser Rangefinder...best that can be afforded.
Ballistics program (Coldbore)
Kestrel
Your spotter's gonna need some high-end glass, too... ($ remote camera system $ would be nice...)

No doubt, if you've got a mile available- you'll get the "bug" and eventually want a purpose-built ELR rig when funds permit.

Damn, I hate guys like you that can step out their back door...and shoot! :thumb:

Steve390Gold
01-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Remote camera systems are not expensive at all. Build your own. 300 bucks and youll have a system that will easily work over 2 miles...:)

psharon97
01-23-2019, 10:41 PM
Purpose-built ELR sticks, sure...
"Budget", not so much- but depends on what your definition of "budget", is. Can you do it with a factory rifle with an aftermarket prefit? Again, sure- but at ELR every bit of accuracy helps.

I'm putting together a .338 LM (maybe AI, not sure yet). Forget the cost of the rifle itself (as a riflesmith, at least my labor is "free"), consider "support" equipment...

NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1 $3,600 my dream...may need to settle for less- but a real, quality optic is a must for clarity at one mile.
Laser Rangefinder...best that can be afforded.
Ballistics program (Coldbore)
Kestrel
Your spotter's gonna need some high-end glass, too... ($ remote camera system $ would be nice...)

No doubt, if you've got a mile available- you'll get the "bug" and eventually want a purpose-built ELR rig when funds permit.

Damn, I hate guys like you that can step out their back door...and shoot! :thumb:

Was going to wait to order the scope till last, but I went and pre-ordered the Vortex Razor HD Gen II. Saved $700 pre-ordering vs. waiting. I did hear that Vortex will be dropping the price, but I'd wait to see. Anywho, this build will definitely not be budget oriented: Mausingfield action, McMillan A6 PRS stock, Brux Barrel in 338 Norma Magnum, plus loading equipment and a silencer. I still need to purchase a really good spotting scope, laser range finder and a range in Georgia where I can shoot to a mile.

Steve390Gold
01-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Core training center in GA has a 2200m unknown distance range. I had planned on making a trip until i found a local place to go to a mile.

Shortbox4x4
02-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Did your resizing decapping match die NOT come with any neck bushings at all?

I picked the bushings when I ordered the dies. Like other die sets like Redding etc...they don’t normally come with the neck bushings. You have to call them out.

simo hayha
03-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Anyone know if 300wm bolthead will work on 338lm action.... Thinking of building 300prc on sav 338

psharon97
03-25-2019, 11:43 AM
Anyone know if 300wm bolthead will work on 338lm action.... Thinking of building 300prc on sav 338

No the 338LM uses a larger bolt head. You would need a .535 bolt head for the PRC cartridge

simo hayha
03-25-2019, 12:24 PM
What boltfaces are available for largeshank longaction

psharon97
03-26-2019, 11:09 AM
What boltfaces are available for largeshank longaction

Standard 308: .473
Magnum: .535

If your action was sold from Savage for 338LM

Orr89rocz
03-26-2019, 12:14 PM
No the 338LM uses a larger bolt head. You would need a .535 bolt head for the PRC cartridge
I think he was asking if you could simply swap bolt faces. Is the the 338 bolt assembly able to accept an aftermarket .532 or .535 bolt face head ?

psharon97
03-27-2019, 06:10 PM
To answer that question, no you would need to purchase an action rated for 338LM. For the most part a large shank action rated for the cartridge.

Orr89rocz
03-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Lol that still doesn’t answer it. If you had a 338 LM action, could you convert to a .535 or whatever standard magnum bolt head?

efm77
03-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Yes you can. The bolt dimensions are the same except for locking lug thickness. The bolt body that came with your lapua action will take a regular bolt head. You’ll probably have to adjust the firing pin protrusion though bc with the thinner head it’ll likely stick out too far. Another option is to get a complete bolt assembly. Bottom line, yes you can absolutely make a 300 win mag or PRC on a lapua action.