PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else building a Savage into the 300PRC?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

tobnpr
12-18-2018, 06:59 PM
I built late last year a new F open class rifle on a Barnard action and the barrel on it is in .300 PRC. I'm running 225-230gr. bullets at 2900fps and the gun will hold 1/4moa for vertical at a 1k. I can use a different powder and get more velocity with out going over pressure if I want to but no need to push on it. My barrel is a 1-9 twist. Standard PRC chamber. It's a nice chamber design. They did there homework on it.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

You mean Ruger did a nice chamber design?
Maybe I missed something, but isn't this just the Ruger necked down- or was there a chamber modification to it?

Steve390Gold
12-18-2018, 08:49 PM
From what I've read over on snipershide brian tooley had made this wild cat cartridge from necking up rws 8x68s cases to 375 then back down to 30 then fireformed for a good 10 plus years prior. When brass got short one of the ruger guys said hey lets use a 375 ruger case instead. Then the throat was appropriately decided upon for long, heavy for bore, pills. At least thats my understanding of it. Could be wrong though.

Shortbox4x4
12-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Your doing a .30cal in a 1-8 twist? What are you chambering it in? Am I correct to assume .300PRC or something different?

Shortbox4x4
12-18-2018, 10:46 PM
You mean Ruger did a nice chamber design?
Maybe I missed something, but isn't this just the Ruger necked down- or was there a chamber modification to it?

Hornady designed it from the Ruger .375. It’s basically a necked down version of the .375 is the easy way to put it.

What I meant by they (Hornady) did a nice chamber design.....nice case neck diameter and throat freebore diameter etc...

Shortbox4x4
12-18-2018, 10:52 PM
From what I've read over on snipershide brian tooley had made this wild cat cartridge from necking up rws 8x68s cases to 375 then back down to 30 then fireformed for a good 10 plus years prior. When brass got short one of the ruger guys said hey lets use a 375 ruger case instead. Then the throat was appropriately decided upon for long, heavy for bore, pills. At least thats my understanding of it. Could be wrong though.

It’s Dave Tooley. Not Brian Tooley. LOL!

I don’t know/remember the whole history but I know a couple of Hornady guys as well as Dave ran it for about 10 years on they’re 1k bench guns. I think you have it pretty close.

I know Joe (Hornady) and Jayden and some others there as well as Dave have a ton of time with it.

I know Dave ran pre production brass and 225 Hornady bullets in a 1k bench match last summer or summer before. I think before. Going into the last relay he was tied for 1st place. Ended up 2nd. I know he was shooting groups in the sub 5” range for the most part.

Orr89rocz
12-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Good information. This round is interesting to me.

I was gonna say, brian tooley is a guy who does race car performance parts lol cylinder heads cams etc

I havent had much feeding issues with my wsm tho but limited to mag length of 2.97 you cant really use long bullets and still have case capacity to drive them, and my jump to the lands becomes long at mag lengths. But certain bullets shoot very well out of it

with the 300 prc having a long 3.70” coal, thats 300 rum territory. I assume guys building these on savage 110 standard actions are single shots?
you would need a rum action and mag box for a repeater?

Steve390Gold
12-19-2018, 10:44 AM

I was gonna say, brian tooley is a guy who does race car performance parts lol cylinder heads cams etc

I havent had much feeding issues with my wsm tho but limited to mag length of 2.97 you cant really use long bullets and still have case capacity to drive them, and my jump to the lands becomes long at mag lengths. But certain bullets shoot very well out of it

with the 300 prc having a long 3.70” coal, thats 300 rum territory. I assume guys building these on savage 110 standard actions are single shots?

Oops thats were i got Brian from! I have a LS1 GTO and am in the market for heads, cam, and supporting mods....lol

My savage 110LH was a 270win but it is a blind mag center feed and with a super long mocked up 270, the action will handle up to 3.750" (mag and stock not so much but i have a way around that....lol)

It’s Dave Tooley. Not Brian Tooley. LOL!

I don’t know/remember the whole history but I know a couple of Hornady guys as well as Dave ran it for about 10 years on they’re 1k bench guns. I think you have it pretty close.

I know Joe (Hornady) and Jayden and some others there as well as Dave have a ton of time with it.

I know Dave ran pre production brass and 225 Hornady bullets in a 1k bench match last summer or summer before. I think before. Going into the last relay he was tied for 1st place. Ended up 2nd. I know he was shooting groups in the sub 5” range for the most part.

Oops yes Dave. LoL

Steve390Gold
12-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Your doing a .30cal in a 1-8 twist? What are you chambering it in? Am I correct to assume .300PRC or something different?

Yes a 300prc, 28" barrel heavy palma, 1:8" twist. Should I call them and have it changed over to 1:9" if they haven't started it?

Shortbox4x4
12-19-2018, 07:18 PM

If the action is set up for a WSM you shouldn’t have any feeding issues. Where the WSM can be problematic is you take a action that was not set up for WSM to begin with and with the really wide body you might have feeding issues with the ramp and rail width. Like on Winchesters etc....

.300PRC should work thru standard WM actions length wise. Mostly with hunting bullets. If the really long bullets you might have a problem.

On Savage actions I’m gonna say single shot only but not sure about all the different mag. Lengths of the Savage etc....

My older Savage 112V from the 70’s I used as my shop test rifle. That gun had everything from .223 barrels up to .338 Lapua barrels on it but again it was a single shot.

Shortbox4x4
12-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Yes a 300prc, 28" barrel heavy palma, 1:8" twist. Should I call them and have it changed over to 1:9" if they haven't started it?

The 1-8 won’t hurt ya. I don’t see a need for a 1-8. So to me a horse a piece. If your just going to be shooting heavy bullets like the 225 and heavier then leave it as a 8 or we can change it to a 9 twist. I know we made plenty of 1-8 twist barrels for Hornady as well if memory serves me correctly.

Saami spec. On .300PRC is 1-10 twist but again if your shooting 225 and up to 240gr. Bullets I’d run a faster twist then a 10 myself. The 230SMK if I recall need like a 1-9.29 twist min. At 2800fps. I’d have to rerun the numbers to double check that as it’s been a while since I did the twist calc on them.

The barrel can be started....as long as it’s not rifled we can change the twist rate for ya. No big deal. Rifling is the last thing that gets done anyways.

Later, Frank

Shortbox4x4
12-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Also depending on powder....I know of some guys running the .300PRC out of long range PRS type guns and running the 225 bullets around low to mid 2900’s out of a 27” barrel.

That’s getting it done!

want2ride
12-19-2018, 09:00 PM
WOW, that is smoking!

Robinhood
12-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Frank, I'm guessing you are using Hornady Brass?

simo hayha
12-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Why not just neck down 338lm

Shortbox4x4
12-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Frank, I'm guessing you are using Hornady Brass?

Yep!

Shortbox4x4
12-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Why not just neck down 338lm

Go back and read some of my posts.....the .338LM has too much case capacity in my opinion. The ignition is weird/different feeling in the LM. The Norma is better than the LM and I feel the PRC is better than the Norma.

Also LM and Norma you need a different bolt face. PRC will work with std. magnum bolt face.

Shortbox4x4
12-20-2018, 11:55 AM
The 1-8 won’t hurt ya. I don’t see a need for a 1-8. So to me a horse a piece. If your just going to be shooting heavy bullets like the 225 and heavier then leave it as a 8 or we can change it to a 9 twist. I know we made plenty of 1-8 twist barrels for Hornady as well if memory serves me correctly.

Saami spec. On .300PRC is 1-10 twist but again if your shooting 225 and up to 240gr. Bullets I’d run a faster twist then a 10 myself. The 230SMK if I recall need like a 1-9.29 twist min. At 2800fps. I’d have to rerun the numbers to double check that as it’s been a while since I did the twist calc on them.

The barrel can be started....as long as it’s not rifled we can change the twist rate for ya. No big deal. Rifling is the last thing that gets done anyways.

Later, Frank

I rechecked the twist calc and at 2800fps. you need a 1-9.24 twist min. for the 230gr. SMK

Shortbox4x4
12-21-2018, 10:26 AM
I double checked...SAAMI spec. is 1-8.5 twist. Then it dawned on me we did make quite a few barrels in 8.5 twist for Hornady.

6.5savageguy
12-28-2018, 08:15 AM
I've got a similar build going. Starting with a 112v single shot long action. Has a SSS competition trigger and a lift kit plus a new bushed and trued bolt head.

Going to shoulder up a Lilja 1.350" shank barrel (no nut) that tapers to .940 at 31" but will finish at 30" threaded for a brake.

Going to bed it into a weighted up Choate Tactical until I find a stock I like better.

Thanks for all the information Frank!

tobnpr
12-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Go back and read some of my posts.....the .338LM has too much case capacity in my opinion. The ignition is weird/different feeling in the LM. The Norma is better than the LM and I feel the PRC is better than the Norma.

Also LM and Norma you need a different bolt face. PRC will work with std. magnum bolt face.

And receiver.... must be able to handle the bolt thrust of the LM.

I ran some numbers in the ballistic calculator, and it's nearly identical to the .338 LM in terms of drop/drift with the 225 ELD-M.
This is due to the published BC of that particular bullet, which seems to be leagues ahead of anything else out there- including Bergers.
I wonder if this BC has been verified??

Put any other boolit into the equation and it doesn't match up to the .338LM. I recently spent nearly a grand getting together components for a .338 LM build and this has given me pause, but I've decided to forge ahead with it. Still much more energy at any range than the .300, should it ever be needed for more than banging a steel plate.