PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable length of pull

Dstrbd488
12-02-2018, 11:32 AM
So if this has already been discussed I apologize but I could not find it so here we go. I’m trying to find a rifle for my 10 year old to hunt with and with him being of smaller stature it is diffficult. While at academy sports the salesman and I were discussing my options and he brought out a savage axis xp2 and was telling me it has a spacer system on the rear of the stock and it appears to have that to my eye. But I can’t find any info anywhere saying that it is a spacer system on this stock so I’m hoping some of you guys will know

OldDog
12-03-2018, 05:45 PM
I think you are referring to the new style Axis plastic stock.I have only seen pictures of them,but they look like they have a removable section on the butt,however I saw a guy reviewing one on YouTube,and according to him the piece(or what looks like a piece) is not removable.I ordered one on Thanksgiving day from Rural King,and when it comes in I will know more..I ordered the Axis because they were having a sale,and it will have a $60 rebate..That being said Kentucky Gun Company has been running great deals on Smith, and Wesson T.C. Compass rifles,they come with a $50 rebate .I ordered mine with the Vortex Crossfire2,but I think the plain rifle is around $250,which is $200 with rebate.Shipping is free..I am pleased with mine considering the price tag..The Compass rifles have a short length of pull .I have one Axis standard size,and one youth model,and even though the compass has a 22" barrel the L.O.P. is about like the youth model.

Wayne Nixon
12-03-2018, 10:44 PM
You could go ahead and get the youth Axis to use now and get a regular stock to change out later. I just put a regular stock on my grandson's 7mm-08 youth Axis this year, I think I got it on ebay for about $30. If you don't want to keep the youth stock you could always sell it. I put Roctite in the forearm and stock to stiffen and add a little weight to help with recoil.

J.Baker
12-04-2018, 09:47 AM
The new Axis stock does not have an adjustable LOP. That feature is only found on select 110 models with synthetic stocks. The new updated Axis stock appears to have a removable spacer (one) that looks to be 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" in length which I would assume takes the stock from a youth length to an adult length.

henryholub
12-09-2018, 11:07 PM
I'll echo Wayne. Get you a model with the youth stock now and snag an adult stock later (nice boyds perhaps)- if a longer stock is necessary. I don't have a long LOP, but I've always felt more comfortable with a shorter LOP on my stock anyway due to shooting a Marlin Buckaroo more than any other rifle. I bought an axis with a wood stock and immediately took an inch of the stock.