PDA

View Full Version : Scope options MSR10

Jben103
11-30-2018, 10:06 AM
I just picked up a 308 MSR10 Hunter and I'm looking to put a good tactical scope on it. Something that is good at short range and long range. I don't know much about scopes and it gets quite overwhelming with all the options out there. So my price range I would like to stay under 500. Im looking for something with good 500yard range and up close range with a quick transition. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

SageRat Shooter
11-30-2018, 03:33 PM
take a look at the Athlon range of scopes... They supposedly track very well for a lower budget scope and the glass is supposed to be pretty good too. You'll have to choose a magnification range that works for you, but I'd say a 4-16X scope should service your needs pretty well.

celltech
11-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Define tactical and short range. Are you looking for a CQB type setup and 1x red dot capability? Then maybe something like a Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS or Vortex Strike Eagle. If you have bad eyes or want something that is more target oriented then I like the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16. I have an Athlon and the Vortex DB and like the Vortex reticle a lot more...but the Athlon has illumination. The glass seems similar enough to call it a draw.

Jester560
11-30-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm just the opposite. I had the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44. I swapped it for an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 and am glad I did. Besides the IR it also has parallax adjustment and is ffp. It is hands down a better all around scope to me. Of course, having it on a 22lr makes a difference.

This my Athlon on my Mkll FVSR
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181130/c1b22a88ae6c2354f20428310aca2c49.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

want2ride
11-30-2018, 07:01 PM
cameralandny.com (https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog) is having some great sales. I would recommend the Athalon Midas BTR 2.5-15x50. It should be great up close and be able to reach out! I just got mine in the mail yesterday. It is on sale for $250, and is really nice. Regular price is about twice that price. I think with that sale it is going to be hard to beat for something that can be both a good close range and a distance scope.

It has really good glass, the turrets feel good, and they have a reputation for good tracking, and the field of view at 2.5 power is pretty fantastic.
It is literally the cheapest scope I have when considering the sale price, and it is really nice.
The only drawbacks are that it is Second focal plane (not a drawback for some), and the turrets are a bit east to turn... not mushy, just too easy to turn.

big honkin jeep
11-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Don't over scope it.
I'd be all over this one for myself if they'd only ship to Georgia. Stupid good price and I've been using Burris for a couple of decades and had great success with their products.
https://www.natchezss.com/burris-mtac-rifle-scope-4-5x14x42mm-pa-g2b-mil-dot-matte.html

Jester560
11-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Dont over scope it.

Is that possible?

big honkin jeep
11-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Is that possible?

Oh Yeah, it's quite possible, ARs already have a really tall profile from the scope turret to the bottom of the mag or grip, Also many folks choose something that starts at 6X+ which aint worth squat when that buck walks right by your stand at 40' and all you can see is a brown blob. The OP didn't really state the use of his rifle. I'd recommend the Burris above simply because I have one on a heavy barreled rifle and I like it a lot and the deal is just too good to pass up especially for anyone on a budget. The only drawback to that particular model is thick crosshairs. I have a couple of flat top M4geries with early model 1.5-4x Leupold and 3-9x Leupold Mark ARs great scopes and I actually prefer the 1.5-4x for field use. 1.5x is great with both eves open and 4z puts me on the money a good ways out.

Jester560
12-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Oh Yeah, it's quite possible, ARs already have a really tall profile from the scope turret to the bottom of the mag or grip, Also many folks choose something that starts at 6X+ which aint worth squat when that buck walks right by your stand at 40' and all you can see is a brown blob. The OP didn't really state the use of his rifle. I'd recommend the Burris above simply because I have one on a heavy barreled rifle and I like it a lot and the deal is just too good to pass up especially for anyone on a budget. The only drawback to that particular model is thick crosshairs. I have a couple of flat top M4geries with early model 1.5-4x Leupold and 3-9x Leupold Mark ARs great scopes and I actually prefer the 1.5-4x for field use. 1.5x is great with both eves open and 4z puts me on the money a good ways out.I was being facetious but that is hard to convey on the web.

celltech
12-01-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm just the opposite. I had the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16×44. I swapped it for an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 and am glad I did. Besides the IR it also has parallax adjustment and is ffp. It is hands down a better all around scope to me. Of course, having it on a 22lr makes a difference.

My Vortex is the new model and has side parallax and FFP as well.

And yes, you can completely over scope a rifle. To me the 10 Hunter is a "lightweight" AR10 and I would be hesitant to put a pig of a scope on it. My AR10 is wearing a Nikon Prostaff 5 in 3.5-14. It does everything I want while being pretty light.

In all truth you could go really cheap and light and put a Buckmaster 4-12 on it and hit steel plates all day long at 500 yards. To each their own....

Jester560
12-01-2018, 11:59 AM
I WAS BEING FACETIOUS about it being about being possible to over scoping a rifle.

big honkin jeep
12-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Sorry man, To my dismay I've been missing a lot of "sarcasm" on the web lately.

Jester560
12-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Sorry man, To my dismay I've been missing a lot of "sarcasm" on the web lately.Easy to do on a computer screen. I should have noted it or added an emoticon to make it more clear.

Stumpkiller
12-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Is that possible?

Definitely. Sarcasm or no.

I hunt at 5X by default on a 3-9x scope because of available light and picking a window through tree cover. Weight is also a concern if you have to carry it in or still hunt all day and then shoot without a stable rest.

But then I'm old and lazy and don't like to carry more weight than I have to. Maybe I need an ATV?

Robinhood
12-03-2018, 11:14 PM
https://www.natchezss.com/burris-mtac-rifle-scope-4-5x14x42mm-pa-g2b-mil-dot-matte.html

This is good advice. They sold for more than 500 several years back. Small lightweight and clear glass. The only complaint is the AO parallax can be a little tight on some scopes.