PDA

View Full Version : Accessories and Ammo for 110 Tactical in 308

yoda4x4
11-21-2018, 07:27 PM
I've finally saved enough free money at Cabelas / Bass Pro, so I'll be placing my order for a LH 110 Tactical in 308. Based on input from a few members here I'll be topping it off with an Athlon Argos BTR 6-20x50 FFP MIL. I figure I'll need rings, bipod, cleaning kit, and several different types of ammo to see what it likes. For rings I was thing of going with Burris XTR rings in either medium or high, depending on how low I can mount the scope (lower the better). What bipod would you recommend that works but won't break the bank? And what ammo brands and bullet weights should I consider testing? Also what ammo should I use for barrel break-in, if that matters? Thoughts on my setup and anything else?

FYI... all items have to be bought at Cabelas or Bass Pro as that's where my "free" money exists.
David

big honkin jeep
11-21-2018, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure what you want to do with your rig but I find bi pods nothing more than an encumbrance for most situations. They're heavy bulky protrude all over the place and snag on everything in the woods.
Maybe start off with a set of bags or a nice rest.
Of the several bi pods I do have, I like my Harris okay.
Go ahead and get a good cleaning rod and buy a bronze brush and a jag separate instead of wasting cash on a "kit". I like the Tipton cleaning rods and they have served me well.
I'd try some federal gold medal in 168 and 175. That's pretty much the standard for those that dont hand load.
You never know though. My brothers 111 stacks bullet holes in bullet holes with federal blue box power shock.
Good luck have fun

J.Baker
11-21-2018, 09:44 PM
For ring height, I used a set of the Warne Fixed 34mm Low's (#220) during my review which put the centerline of my 50mm Obj. scope at 0.920" above the top of the rail. As you can see in my review pics (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?483-Savage-110-Tactical-LH-in-308-Win-Review), one could easily go 1/8 to 1/4" lower with the only concern being objective cone clearance with the extended rail. The Athlon is a longer scope with a shallower cone angle than I was running so I don't think it would be an issue.

As for a bipod, get a Harris 9-13" if you plan to primarily shoot from the prone position, or a 6-8" if you'll be shooting mostly from the bench. For me the 6-8" is a little too short to comfortably shoot with from the prone position. The bipod in my review pic's is a Harris 6-8".

If you can find it, mine shot the Federal Law Enforcement Tactical Tru 168gr Tipped Matchking (SKU# T308T) extremely well.

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/rifle/details.aspx?id=1004

6mmBR_Shooter
11-21-2018, 09:51 PM
From a bench I prefer shooting with a bipod and a rear bag over shooting with front and rear bags, but everyone has a different opinion. Like mentioned above, a bipod may not be of benefit when in the woods.

I have a Harris HBRMS and really like it. It's assisted in shooting some phenomenal groups, both while prone as well as from a bench.

yoda4x4
11-21-2018, 09:53 PM
As of now, this gun will be a dedicated range gun.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Fordoldfart
11-22-2018, 12:24 AM
I have two tacticals in 308 plus a Stevens 200 and an AR10 clone in 308 they all shoot PPU 308 168 gr hpbt match into very small groups. The tacticals will create 5 shot one hole groups. The conograph says a standard deviation of just 4 FPS. And you can buy this Ammo for $14-&16 a box.

charlie b
11-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Ammo. If you don't reload then the most accurate I have found are the Black Hills and Federal Gold. Like above you can sometimes find other stuff that shoots well.

Bipods. My 12BVSS has a Harris. My Axis has a cheap brand that Sportsman's carries, don't remember what. I can't really tell the difference when shooting at the bench. Just make sure to get steel tube legs and positive stops. Both of mine have tilt but do not pan. For the bench I like them that way. And, I do love the bipods. I use a rear bag with them both.

I got the Warne base and rings for the Vortex Viper on the 12BVSS. Don't remember what height as the guys at Sportsmans installed it. If you are going to get the rifle at Cabelas you could do the same. If you buy the scope or rifle from them they should mount it.

The 12BVSS was my retirement gift so I bought higher end stuff...just because :) The Axis is my cheap gun (.223 HB) that will sometimes outshoot the 12BVSS (.308).

Cleaning supplies. Good one piece cleaning rod. Bore guide. I get by with the MTM plastic one. I also have a muzzle bore guide just in case I need to punch out a stuck case. Jag and bore brush (nylon or bronze, no stainless). I also usually have mop swabs for applying solvents and sometimes copper removers.