PDA

View Full Version : 6mm BR

mugsie
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
The more I research this the more confused I get. I'm building a rifle. I think I settled on 6mm BR. I understand 6mm BR is the same as 6mm BR Norma, whereas 6mm BR Remington is different slightly. So - I'm building 6mm BR Norma (I guess). I can't seem to find dies for this. Everything says 6mm Remington - will they work? Chamber is being cut for Norma - do I have a problem.

To confuse matters more - I would love to go to 30BR but can't find Brass, Dies or anything else for that matter! Brass has to be specially formed by necking up 6mmBR, does - forgetaboutit - can't find them anywhere. 6mmx284 is also a possibility - if I want to buy a new barrel every year! This sucks. :'(

This is frustrating. I want a 100 - 600 yard extremely accurate one hole group rifle - what fits the bill and has brass and dies available? Haven't purchased the barrel yet so I still have a little time to decide.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-06-2010, 10:48 AM
The dies that are selling now are 6BR Norma. The outfits just havn't changed the listing because Remington made ther first parent case. The remingtom brass can be fired in the 6BR Norma chambers but not the other way around.
Might find an "older" rifle chambered in 6BR Remington but the newer stuff will probably be 6BR Norma. If you order, mention Lapua and you won't have any problems.
As far as dies for a 30 BR, get bushing dies, (6BR,7BR) swap out the bushings to the size you want and you're set. You'll need an "expander die" to open up the necks. One pass with a Sinclair expander and you're in business. There's a couple of guys here that are working with the 30BR so I expect them to be jumping in here soon.

Jamie
10-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Pay close attention to which you order because the 6mm Remington is a lot different than 6mm BR REM or Norma.

MDM
10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Midway and Sinclair have lots of die sets to choose from. I opted for the standard Redding FL die set for $50 and I've had no trouble. Get the Lapua brass. I built a 6BR with a 28" 8 twist Mcgowen a few months back and it has turned into a real hammer. It will hold .5 moa or slightly better out to 600yds pretty easily.

mugsie
10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the info guys - this is turning out to be some project. The easy part was securing the action. I managed to score a model 111 FCNS on Gunbroker for $225. As soon as it arrives I'll sell the barrel and stock if I can. The scope which came with it - maybe I'll use it, maybe not. Purchasing the barrel and stock is a little bit of a chore because it's a long action with a DBM, but I'm sure I can work something out there.

What has been the sticking point has been the brass / dies etc. as well as what caliber. I would like to shoot 30BR but that's another journey altogether! I enjoy the challenge, and I'm sure I'll get something to be proud of once it's finished, but what an uphill climb!

I want to apologize in advance for being such a pain (I'm really very good at it though!) but this is the only way I can learn. Thanks again all.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Like you said, It's the only you'll learn. Keep us posted on the progress.
My guess is most of the guys here will bail you out every chance they get. A pretty good bunch of guys. Most of us have "been there, done that". ;)

rjtfroggy
10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
30br is a PIA but worth the effort it you like accuracy.Die sets are available from RCBS,CH4D and a few others. Yes you have to neck up 6mm br or 7mm br brass and you will ruin a couple,I used Lapua and destroyed 4 of them.
I was at the range in the pouring rain today and had 2 groups of six shots with one expanding hole per group.
My rig is a single shot action,Douglas 1:12 twist 22" barrel and I am shooting 150smk's,this all mounted in a modified Savage stock.At the moment there is a Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire on it but that will change after Saturdays match,just don't like the scope.Maybe a Mueller8-32 or stick with the SWFA SS 20x.
What ever way you go good luck and shoot safe and strait.

jo191145
10-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Midway has dies in stock. 6mmBR (Bench Rest) I use nothing but Redding.
6mm Remington is a totally different animal.

Powder Valley has Lapua brass in stock. When it comes to brass,bullets and powder my first stop is Powder Valley.
Good prices and availability.

100-600yd one holer? Nothing quarentees one hole groups ;)
6BR 8" twist is a good start with long barrel life.
The newest lot of Lapua brass (blue box) has not been getting the greatest reviews.
Neck thickness was reduced from .013" to .012". This has upset a few shooters used to .002" clearence in no turn chambers.
Rumor has it Lapua has heard the complaints and intends to switch back to .013" We'll see.
I haven't tried the blue box so no further opinions beyond rumors.

30BR requires necking up from 6BR and neck turning.
Ron Hoehn will sell the brass fully prepped and ready for fireforming.
You'll pay hefty for that service.

I've seen reports of the 30BR shooting some good scores out to 500yds.
Generally thats not the cartridge to choose for long range.
The wind will eat you alive.