PDA

View Full Version : Q on bedding REMAGE

Bginvestor
11-18-2018, 06:19 PM
How much of the barrel nut should I bed? I'm getting conflicting info.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. thx.

PaddyD
11-19-2018, 11:53 AM
I usually bed up to the first 2" in front of the lug. Just be sure you put some plumber's putty in the wrench slots of the nut. You want the bedding to be smooth under the nut or it can make getting the action in and out of the stock difficult.

sharpshooter
11-19-2018, 05:03 PM
I never bed past the recoil lug.....there's no reason to.

Bginvestor
11-19-2018, 10:06 PM
thanks for the feedback guys..

PaddyD
11-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Bedding past the lug is a debated issue. I do it because I noticed a better shooting rifle . I first bedded the action and didn't see much for results in my M70. Dick Williams, an old gunsmith here in Michigan that has since passed on, told me to try bedding the chamber also and it shot better, so every rifle that I bed gets the chamber area bedded too.

Evlshnngns
11-20-2018, 02:11 AM
This is a quot from Tony Boyer:

First I must state that ever since the 1970’s I have never bedded a Remington action. I have always glued them in the same as I do a benchrest rifle. I do put back the action screws but with a very light torque, just enough to hold them in place. I always leave the barrel completely free floating forward of the recoil lug. When I did bed Remington actions I made sure that the front sides and especially the bottom of the recoil lug were clear of the bedding. This can be achieved by using layers of tape.

Regards

Tony

Bginvestor
11-22-2018, 12:41 AM
Bedding past the lug is a debated issue. I do it because I noticed a better shooting rifle . I first bedded the action and didn't see much for results in my M70. Dick Williams, an old gunsmith here in Michigan that has since passed on, told me to try bedding the chamber also and it shot better, so every rifle that I bed gets the chamber area bedded too. thx

Bginvestor
11-22-2018, 12:42 AM
This is a quot from Tony Boyer:

First I must state that ever since the 1970’s I have never bedded a Remington action. I have always glued them in the same as I do a benchrest rifle. I do put back the action screws but with a very light torque, just enough to hold them in place. I always leave the barrel completely free floating forward of the recoil lug. When I did bed Remington actions I made sure that the front sides and especially the bottom of the recoil lug were clear of the bedding. This can be achieved by using layers of tape.

Regards

Tony

thx