PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Fly Shooter Build

Three44s
11-16-2018, 04:32 AM
About 3 years ago I bought my first and only left hand bolt gun. It is a flat top short action stainless Savage and it was in 243 Win.

i shot it that way for a bit and it was fine but I had just acquire a custom 6mm BR barrel and was itching to try it out, so off went the 243 and on went the 6 BR. Now certainly the BR barrel shoots fine but from the fixed magazine of this lefty gun it was not going to feed.

So the build just sat in the safe gathering dust and I pondered my next move.

The other day I made my mind up and fetched my Savage tools and swapped in an Axis 22” stainless sporter tube I had acquired in 22-250.

I got it on paper at 25 yds, backed off to 100 and closed the deal. I went to my Den Of Lead and fetched my gathering dust supply of brass for that caliber. It had been thirteen years since my 788 in that caliber had kicked the bucket and I had forgotten about the good supply of new and low round count Winchester brass I had on hand. A treat!

After pouring over the load manuals I decided on a 55 gr bullet and Rl 15 powder. I grabbed an old friend, the Federal 210 primer. The first bullet I found in suffient quantity was a box of Sierras’s #1390, the 55 gr BTHP.

After determining what the length to the lands were I set the bullet back .020”.

Upon firing the third string of three shot groups I had three rounds going .350”. My fourth and last three went .230”. All at 100!

Today I broke out a box of the Nosler 50 Ballistic Tips I had just bought and loaded another set of 4 sets of three. When the dust settled I had a third group of three at .535” and the fourth group at .365” for three shots.

So in 24 rounds total I now have two loads with different bullets that group three at a 100 into .230” and .365”

...... color me HAPPY!

Three44s

big honkin jeep
11-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Some are more finicky about their diet than others. Luckily I haven't found a 110 yet that wouldn't shoot once I found what it liked. sounds like you got a good one

Three44s
11-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Well I am two for two so far. I will be amazed if there are not quite a few more good loads waiting to be discovered. There is a breaking point though, I do not want to wear it out racking them up.

This rifle is destined to kill coyotes, just enough rodents to keep my confidence up every now and then.

Three44s