PDA

View Full Version : Stevens model 200 question!! Weird gun trying tto find answers

Ddalli1
11-10-2018, 12:24 AM
I recently purchased a Stevens model 200 .270 from a friend and after doing some research I found that the stocks only come in two colors. This particular Stevens model 200 is a desert sand color I've looked all over the internet ask the bunch of gun enthusiast and they have no clue why it's this color. The stock does not seem to be changed I asked a gunsmith if the stock looked like it was changed and his answer was no. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other Stevens model 200 with the same color? I'm just trying to find out a little more information on the gun I purchased. Was it a promotional item or did they make it when Savage first started making the Stevens models? I would just like some answers so if anyone knows please feel free to contact me. I am completely confused I've looked all over the place and just about exhausted all my options on finding out everything I can about this rifle. It's a very good rifle it's a straight shooter and I killed my first buck with it so it means a lot to me so I'd really like to know everything I can about it. If anyone has any information please feel free to email me post on my thread or anything else my email is ddalli1@live.com once again thank you and any information is good information thanks again guys appreciated

wbm
11-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Don't know how many Stevens came in desert sand but I had one several years ago in 243....NIB so I know it was original.

Robinhood
11-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Seen many in desert sand. At one time Sports stores were selling them for 175.00 like hotcakes. Mostly they were between 285.00 and 325.00 retail in my area. Many were used as a basis for inexpensive target or customized hunting platforms. They utilized the 10/110 action and parts. I have not seen one that was not a shooter except for some 7mm08's that had a slow twist. I have seen more than one Stevens 200 in 270 that shot very small 3 shot groups at 300 yards. Yours is a 10 twist I believe

The stock is paintable so if you do not like the color aluma-hyde will fix you up with a durable finish. That goes for the barreled action too.

The trigger spring is the older torsion style spring it is a top release. If you want aftermarket parts for your 270, look for top bolt release Savage 110 pieces.

The only thing anyone ever complained about was the flimsy stock forend. I don't think it will be a problem for your purpose.