PDA

View Full Version : Replacement stock suggestion for .338 win mag 116

Sascwatch
11-07-2018, 11:16 PM
I purchased a savage 116 in .338 win mag to use as a dedicated moose gun and would like to upgrade the stock and I am looking for some recommendations. I contacted Boyd’s regarding their laminate stocks and they replied saying they do not recommend using any of their stocks with a .338 win mag. I’ve done some searching and have found several magnum caliber builds that use Boyd’s stocks without any issues.

Getting a muzzle brake installed is also an option if I must, but I don’t find the recoil very bad with a lightweight plastic stock.

Also, weight is not an option as I don’t carry the gun freehand much, and a good rest is never far in northern Ontario. I’ve handled several rifle builds that use Boyd’s laminate stocks and they seem to be well built and I don’t see why they wouldn’t recommend using a .338 in their stocks. Maybe they misunderstood me and thought i was talking about the .338 lapua?

I guess my question is, has anyone had any problems with Boyd’s stocks while using a magnum caliber?

micky_blue
11-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Stockys offers a laminate also.

BB68
11-09-2018, 08:58 PM
They had no problem selling me a laminate thumbhole for my 338 win mag.

big honkin jeep
11-09-2018, 09:24 PM
I'm sure you have your reasons but......
Why?
Nothing wrong with the factory synthetics. Tough as nails, weatherproof (116s named Weather Warrior for a reason), functional, light, and they are easily modified for fit and function.
I haven't seen a moose criticize the look of anyones stock lately :becky:
If it's the look there are lots of paint schemes and hydro dips available.
The Boyds laminates I have dealt with need pillars and bedding of the recoil lug. They seemed pretty soft and you have to be really careful not to overtorque them as they come from the factory or the action screws will pretty easily pull up into the "wood". I could see where the recoil lug might not take much of a beating.
Personally I'd just stay with the factory synthetic and use it.

Sascwatch
11-10-2018, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. I’ve got the 116 trophy hunter which has the plain synthetic stock and not the accu-stock. I’m looking to add some weight to the gun along with the adjustability of the AT-ONE stock (thick coats during moose season and light clothing at the range). I do plan on bedding the recoil lug and putting pillars in the stock, I think that along with the muzzle brake should suffice.

Seeing that no problems have been reported yet it looks like a laminate stock should hold up without any issues. I doubt that the gun will see more than 25-30 rounds per year. I will NOT shoot it using a lead sled or anything other than shooting sticks/bags.

I think I’ll take the chance and give it a try, I’ll probably start a build log and keep everybody updated on how things go. Plans so far are to upgrade to a laminate stock (Boyd’s AT-One for the adjustability in pepper colour), add a muzzle brake and to put on a nice scope. I really like the Nikon monarch series and I think the 4-16x42 or 4-16x50 will be perfect for the intended use.