PDA

View Full Version : Savage .223 newer model

tsucol11
11-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Looking at getting the newer hunter 110 in .223.

I intend to use the rifle for target practice and for coyote hunting. Since I would like the boys to use it for target practice, and they can be inpatient at getting their turn, I would like to know roughly how many rounds of factory ammo can be run through before the barrel gets hot and the barrel deviates. Looking at shooting 40 - 50 rounds / hour.

It could be that this is not an issue. The 110 varmint is a no go as I do a lot of walking while hunting.

Thanks
Tsucol

J.Baker
11-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to teach those kids to be a little more patient. Also, when target shooting at the range it's always best to have a second firearm with you to shoot while the other is cooling off. A 22LR is perfect for this and will keep the kiddo's from getting bored. The other thing you can do is make a game of their shooting at the range forcing them to wait so long between shots or shooting the next shot on a different target that requires them to shift their position/aim.

As for how many rounds you can squeeze of fin an hour, that is going to depend on the ammo. Some factory ammo is hotter than others, some powders burn hotter than others, etc. Best to just teach your kids to do the touch test and teach them to stop shooting and let it cool when the barrel gets to hot.

charlie b
11-07-2018, 12:10 PM
I always go for a slightly heavier rifle for hunting. It is more important to me to have the steadier hold from a heavy rifle than a pound less weight to carry. But, I guess being used to carrying long barrel muzzle loaders kinda taints my view of things. Hunted one year with an M1 Garand :) That felt heavier than most other rifles I've carried.

I kinda average 40-50rnd per hour, but, most are shot in strings of 4-12 before a cool down. 4 shots in a minute or two and the barrel is warm. 12 shots in a few minutes and it is really warm. At the end of an hour and 50 shots it is hot. The heavy barrel on mine changes POI by about 1/4" at 100yds.

PS the heavy barrel also does not cool down as fast.

tsucol11
11-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Thank you gentlemen, question answered.