PDA

View Full Version : "J" vs Long Action

bsekf
10-31-2018, 12:08 PM
In my search for a true Long Action Single Shot(5.06 inches between the screws), I keep finding a lot of 110 Single Shot's that were the "J" Action and some of the barrels are stamped J but still may be 5.06 between the screw holes. Do I have that right?

SO

Some Single Shot 110 Savages with the J action may still be Long Actions (5.06 inches between the screws)? So the only way to tell if it is a true Long Action Single Shot is to measure? Prefixes and SN's and Models tell you nothing, the only way is to measure?????

Were the shorter J actions all 4.5 inches between the screw holes? Were ALL 1st Gen. Short Actions(4.5 between the screw holes), "J" actions and marked with 3 digits (110, 112, etc) even though they weren't LONG Actions?

Bill

J.Baker
10-31-2018, 01:07 PM
As has been noted numerous times here over the years, the "Series J" has absolutely nothing to do with the screw spacing. This is why we more accurately refer to them as Gen 1 short actions - because referring to them as "Series J" causes this very confusion. The Series letter just indicates a slight design change (usually small parts) so that in the event the rifle should ever come back to the factory for repair they would know which variation of part(s) to use as replacements.