PDA

View Full Version : Question about Savage stocks and bedding

frank1947
10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a F-Class and a 10FP both as you know are free float with pillar bedding, does anyone skin bed these or glass bed also? both shoot great but maybe they could be better, I have a stock on its way that I got factory type pillars for the 10FP with the back pillar cut out to fit Savage, the stock is wood laminate, so I will install pillars but not sure if I should dig down abit and fill I personally don't see why since the pillars should be fine, but many of you in here know a bit more then me, so let me know

GaCop
10-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Even with pillar bedding, I still glass bed my stocks. I glass the action to include the recoil lug but leave the barrel nut and barrel floated. Some glass to include the chamber of the barrel if its a heavy weight varmint, just to give it some support.

frank1947
10-05-2010, 10:54 AM
so are you removing material around pillars and bedding area to get a certain amount of glass bedding in there, Thanks

Harriershot
10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I remove a lot of wood and drill small footer holes 1/8" by 1/8" deep so the bedding will grab into the stock. I strongly recommend Devcon 10110 steel epoxy and kiwi neutral shoe polish for release over accraglass. Accraglass is really a joke compared to Devcon. make sure you use modeling clay to fill the slots in the barrel nut and use yellow masking tape to cover the bigger places you don't want the Devcon to get into.

Charlie

marku
10-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Devcon is I think the best stuff you can use to bed a rifle in. I know of a smith that does GREAT work I just wont use his name on here for respect for the paying vendors

frank1947
10-05-2010, 11:30 PM
sounds like devcon is the stuff, i sure thank you guys

GaCop
10-06-2010, 05:31 AM
As "harrier shot" describes is the way to go. Devcon rules!