PDA

View Full Version : 110BA .338 Lapua Mag. Headspace

Pages : 1 [2]

bigjet
11-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I've only loaded one batch of ammo with the N570 and didn't chrono them. Wasn't too thrilled with it (especially the price). I've gotten my best accuracy with Accurate's XMR4350, but it's too close to the ragged edge on pressure. Most of us here use Alliant's Reloder22. It's half the price of the Vitah Vouri. It's made in Sweden and 81gr seems to be good for the 300's, The Berger Hybrids aren't sensitive to seating depths so I just seat them to magazine length.

QuickLoad says you'll get about 2584 fps with the Reloder 22, and it definitely looks like you have to be careful with the 4350. A 74gr load of that really pushes the pressure, but doesn't even break 2550 fps, and you've got over 58,000 psi. I'm curious what you found to be unsat with the N570. Looks to me like it provides the highest velocity, without going too far with the pressure. 91.5 gr of N570 pushes the 300 gr SMK right about 2700 fps, depending upon how deep you're seating, with only 56,500 on the pressure.

You're right, the 110BA trigger is pretty sucky. I put a Rifle Basix SAV1 in mine last week and It might turn out okay if I ever get it adjusted right. So far though it's been more trouble than it's worth. Sure wish Savage would sell their target accu-trigger. I'd slap one in the 110BA in a heartbeat. It's the best trigger I've ever used. Wonder if Fred's (SSS) Competition Trigger would work in the rifle.
Might have to call Lisa next week and ask since I'm planning on sending the 110BA in to get the action timed and trued anyway.

I haven't yet adjusted the Accu-Trigger, but doubt it will ever be comparable to the Jewell I shot the other day. Absolutely flawless release. Never tried the Savage target accu-trigger. Would it be a drop-in in the 110BA? I'd be real interested in knowing trigger options.

Called Berger and it looks like some time next year before they'll have the new 300's out. Don't know why they wont keep the old design on hand too. Guys like us that push them out at 2700fps don't have the problem. They also revised the BC on the old design down to .818. Still better than SMKs but not by as much.

That's a disappointment. I'm about out of projectiles. I have about 50 Scenars left, but would really like to focus on one bullet, and Berger would be it if they ever came out with the new Hybrids. The SMKs really are shooting nicely, though. I have a feeling that any problems with the SMKs are strictly due to my shooter's eye, not the rounds. I'm thinking the Redding Neck Bushing die will tighten things up. I've been a little sloppy on my necks, and wouldn't be surprised if that is opening the groups up a bit, or more likely, contributing to the outliers.

Was your reticle a problem at 1000?

Not a problem. Looking at the blue bulls on the 1000 yd targets was reassuring. I can easily zero in on the X ring, although the reticle fineness isn't there as it is in SFP setups. The reticle itself is 0.025 mils, which at 1000 yds makes the reticle appear to be 0.9" thick. Not as fine as the SFP reticles on my Nikon, but I'll settle for 1" of slop at 1000 yds. I'm really just looking for reasonable tactical accuracy at this stage of the game. If I ever get the right neck dies, and see an improvement on today's accuracy, I might get a bit more intense about squeezing a little bit better out of the rifle. Hopefully, improved accuracy will come before I burn out the barrel. Already have nearly 100 rounds down the tube, and have no idea if it's good for 500, or 1000.

Captain Eddie
11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
The N570 wasn't as accurate as the 4350 and wasn't enough better than RL22 to justify $40.00 (plus iffy availability) as opposed to $20.00 and available everywhere. I'm getting right at 2700fps with 81gr of RL22 and 300 gr moly coated bullets.

Someone on this forum mentioned that SSS had reduced power accu-trigger springs. Sure enough, when I called Lisa she said she'd drop one in the mail for me. That makes three options for better trigger pull. Trim the existing spring (not until I have another one on hand), the reduced power spring from SSS, Rifle Basix (so far not recommended) and the Competition Trigger from SSS. Since I prefer the accu-trigger concept I'll probably go with option one or two, but if all else fails I'll get the Competition Trigger. I've just about given up on the Rifle Basix. So frustrated in fact that I took my Garands to the range yesterday. Love those Rifles!

The SMKs will do well at long range. Just sort them by weight and uniform the meplats. It only takes .001 or .002" to get them as square as the Lapuas and Bergers. Even the SMK .223s and .308s improve with a little TLC.

.9" at 1000 isn't much when you consider the size of the X ring on a 1000yd target. Best groups I've ever seen at 1000 were about 6". Unfortunately they weren't mine