PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 VLP #18464 questions

ptf18
10-21-2018, 05:36 AM
Fellows: I shoot NRA XTC High Power events and currently use a AR. I have always wanted to try my hand with a bolt action rifle and I'm considering using the Savage Model 12 VLP in .223. I got some questions and would like your input.

1) Am I correct that the Model 12 VLP stock number 18464 comes with a 1/7 twist barrel? Verses the stock number 18465 that comes with a 1/9 twist barrel.

2) Does the Model 12 VLP come with detachable magazines? If so can you "squeeze" 5 rounds of .223 into the magazine. If not, is there an after-market magazine kit that uses magazines that hold at least 5 rounds or perhaps AR magazines?

3) What is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? I would be using a "clamp on" style front sight. Most of these type sights are for .750" diameter barrels.

Thanks, ptf18

Robinhood
10-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Morning PTF

3) You will need to have the muzzle machined straight to fit the sight you are wanting to mount. No big deal.

2) It does come with a DBM but the factory mags only hold 4.

3) You will find everything Savage posts about themodel 12 VLP #18464 here:

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/varmint-series/12-varmint-low-profile

J.Baker
10-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Fellows: I shoot NRA XTC High Power events and currently use a AR. I have always wanted to try my hand with a bolt action rifle and I'm considering using the Savage Model 12 VLP in .223. I got some questions and would like your input.

1) Am I correct that the Model 12 VLP stock number 18464 comes with a 1/7 twist barrel? Verses the stock number 18465 that comes with a 1/9 twist barrel.

2) Does the Model 12 VLP come with detachable magazines? If so can you "squeeze" 5 rounds of .223 into the magazine. If not, is there an after-market magazine kit that uses magazines that hold at least 5 rounds or perhaps AR magazines?

3) What is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? I would be using a "clamp on" style front sight. Most of these type sights are for .750" diameter barrels.

Thanks, ptf18

1. Yes - 1:7 twist on that SKU.

2. Yes, has a detachable box magazine with a 4-round capacity. Easiest solution to increase the magazine capacity would be to swap out the standard DBM bottom metal with the AICS style that Savage uses on the new 110 Scout and 110 Tactical models. Then you can use AICS-pattern 10-round magazines offered by Accurate Mag or Modular Driven Technologies (MDT).

3. Muzzle diameter is around 0.820" IIRC. As Robinhood said, that's an easy fit by having a local gunsmith turn it down to a concentric 0.750" for your sight.

All that said, looking at the XTC High Power format it looks like you're only shooting at 200 and 300 yards. I would question the need for a 1:7 twist at those distances as the additional velocity with a 68/69gr bullet would likely offset any reduction in drop offered from a 75-90gr bullet at a slower velocity.

If you're not in a hurry, I would suggest calling Savage and talking to Effie in the Special Order Department. They can build you a Model 12 VLP with the AICS bottom metal right there at the factory so you won't have to track down and buy the different bottom metal and magazine separately. In the end it would probably cost the same either way so it's just saving you some hassle.

ptf18
10-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Thanks Fellows. More "projects"......... we will see if I follow thru...
Thanks again.

ptf18
10-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Fellows: I was "told" that you can "squeeze" 5 .223 rounds into the detachable magazines BUT you would have a hard time getting a 5 round magazine to seat into the rifle with the bolt closed.

Anyone have any experience loading 5 .223 rounds in these magazines and seating it into the gun? If 5 round loaded magazine is hard to seat can you "loosen" the retaining screws of the magazine bottom metal to get a 5 round loaded magazine loaded? I would "make up" the loose fit with spacers and then tighten the screws. I "assume" the front screw for the magazine bottom metal is the forward receiver screw.

J.Baker
10-24-2018, 08:34 PM
I can fit 5 in my Axis magazine, which uses the same upper housing as the 110-series magazines, and don't have a problem seating it with the bolt closed. Whether that holds true on the 110-series guns with the metal bottom and separate bottom plate I don't know - don't own one of those.

Putting a spacer between the bottom metal and the stock is going to create more problems than it solves. The "reason it would be hard to seat is because there would be no give left in the magazine's spring/follower with 5-rounds in the mag. If you space the mag down to solve that issue and you'll end up with a feeding issue as the bolt will likely no longer catch the top round in the mag to strip it off and chamber it - especially with the smaller diameter cartridges.

You said you intend to use this rifle for competitive shooting. Well, I don't know many folks who half-ass jerry-rig things on their competition rifles, at least not if they're even remotely serious about it.

ptf18
10-25-2018, 08:20 AM
J. Baker. Thank you for you information/advise. In all reality, another gun is the last thing I need but Im sure you know how that goes. I'm going to post a note to see if someone with this specific rifle can get 5 rounds into the magazine. Thanks again

ptf18
10-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Fellows: I have a question for anyone that has a Model 12 VLP .223 p/n 18464 (1/7 twist, detachable mag). Can 5 .223 round be loaded into the magazine and the magazine be fully inserted into the rifle with the bolt closed? I've got a picture with 5 223 rounds in the magazine so I can see that 5 rounds will fit. I'm not sure if a 1) you can fully insert a 5 223 round magazine into a closed bolt Model 12 CLP, 2) can the bolt be opened with 5 223 rounds in the magazine?

Thanks ptf18

skyrep
10-29-2018, 01:57 PM
ptf18
I do have the save Model 12 VLP .223 p/n 18464. I can check tonight to see if five rounds will fully insert into a closed bolt and chamber a round and open the bolt again. I know i can load five rounds in the detachable magazine. However, have not tried inserting the magazine with the bolt closed. Will let you know when i try it tonight. By the way, its a shooter.

skyrep
10-29-2018, 10:49 PM
ptf18 - Loaded five rounds in the magazine. The Magazine did seat with the bolt closed. However, it did not pick up the round when i pulled the bolt back to load the round. When i put the magazine in with the bolt open, i had no problems loading and cycling the bolt with the five rounds. I then tried it with only four rounds in the magazine and it did seat and no problems with loading and cycling the bolt. Hope this answered your question.

ptf18
10-30-2018, 10:17 PM
ptf18 - Loaded five rounds in the magazine. The Magazine did seat with the bolt closed. However, it did not pick up the round when i pulled the bolt back to load the round. When i put the magazine in with the bolt open, i had no problems loading and cycling the bolt with the five rounds. I then tried it with only four rounds in the magazine and it did seat and no problems with loading and cycling the bolt. Hope this answered your question.

Skyrep...Thank you very much. That info will definitely influence my decision on purchasing a Model 12 LVP p/n 18464. Any idea why the bolt would not pick up the top round? I suspect that the follower spring may be too "compressed. To what distances have you shot yours? Do you handload for it and if so what are you getting for accuracy?

skyrep
10-31-2018, 11:11 PM
I single load (using a sled) most of the time. Enjoy taking my time and concentrate on the shot. My home range (45 Minutes away) only goes out to 200 yards. However, i try and get to the CMP at Talladega, AL which they have eleven ranges at least once every three months. they have one range that goes out to 600 hundred yards. So Most of the time i spend on load development out to 200 yards and Final testing at the CMP. i HAND Load ALL my Loads. I strive for accuracy with decent velocity and low SDs. Working on the following rounds: Hornady 88 gr ELD Match, Berger 88 gr Full Bore Target, 77 gr SMK, Hornady 75 gr ELD Match and 69 gr SMK. The Savage Model 12 is a shooter (especially 1-7 twist). I have close to 850 rounds trough it since i got it in May. All i did was add a Harris Tri Pod and Put a Athlon MIDAS TAC 6-24x56 FFP in Mil Dot. Love the rifle. I aslo have a Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5 CM, a Tika T3X in 308 and a couple of AR's in built different Calibers. Love the hobbie.

ptf18
11-09-2018, 10:03 PM
I single load (using a sled) most of the time. Enjoy taking my time and concentrate on the shot. My home range (45 Minutes away) only goes out to 200 yards. However, i try and get to the CMP at Talladega, AL which they have eleven ranges at least once every three months. they have one range that goes out to 600 hundred yards. So Most of the time i spend on load development out to 200 yards and Final testing at the CMP. i HAND Load ALL my Loads. I strive for accuracy with decent velocity and low SDs. Working on the following rounds: Hornady 88 gr ELD Match, Berger 88 gr Full Bore Target, 77 gr SMK, Hornady 75 gr ELD Match and 69 gr SMK. The Savage Model 12 is a shooter (especially 1-7 twist). I have close to 850 rounds trough it since i got it in May. All i did was add a Harris Tri Pod and Put a Athlon MIDAS TAC 6-24x56 FFP in Mil Dot. Love the rifle. I aslo have a Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5 CM, a Tika T3X in 308 and a couple of AR's in built different Calibers. Love the hobbie.

Skyrep. Thank you for your response. Another "project" Im thinking of..... I've never shot a 223 bolt rifle and its a caliber I'ld like to try in a..bolt rifle. Time will tell.
Thanks again

ptf18