PDA

View Full Version : SSS stocks

10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
This is for any one with an SSS stock and especially those with the LVT. Do these usually require any extra work to get the rifle to fit properly? I just received my LVT last week, but my 112 with SSS lug doesn't fit. When the lug is in the proper place the action screw holes are too far forward of the holes in the stock. Do I just have to scrape out some of the laminate so the lug can get back toward the holes a bit farther? Also, it feels like there must be a high spot in there some where. I know the lug isn't touching the bottom, but when I set the action in place I can rock it back and forth quite a bit at one point. Not sure what is causing this though. Could it be some thing on the action, or would it be the stock?

I am 100% pleased with the look and feel of the stock, I was just surprised when I couldn't get the screws in. Also do most of you glass the stock or is it ok with just the pillars? Thanks for any and all info!

stumpjumper400
10-05-2010, 11:37 PM
My LVT fit a stagger-feed short action like a glove. Best group to date is .112 @ 100. No bedding yet and with the SSS recoil lug.

Steve

nhm16
10-06-2010, 01:03 AM
I have two LVT stocks, one for a center feed short action with DBM and one for a long action with blind mag. Both were bedded by SSS, and they fit perfectly. I guess having them bedded adds an extra QA step since the inletting has to work.

FWIW, the second LVT took much longer to get, and wasn't as well made as the first one... there were some chips (like a layer or two of laminate had peeled off) at the rear of the butt stock. Overall though, pretty decent stocks.

10-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the replies! My stock looks and feels great. Pretty obvious I am not experienced with stock making, and I am the first person to admit I am horrible with tools (the very few I own). Was just wondering if there was an easy fix. I took the advice of an old "gun guy" I work with. I used a drill bit to basically grind down the laminate on the aft side of the lug recess. Both screws fit now, but man, does it look crappy!!! Of course you can't see it with the action on, but I am guessing I need to bed this now?

Smokey262
10-06-2010, 09:11 PM
You don't have to bed it now, its optional, as in only if you want to be able to shoot decent groups.

frank1947
10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
stumpjumper 400 , so .112 of an inch at 100 , the hole a bullet makes is greater then .112, I would love to see what that looks like and how can it be measured, i just shot my .223 a minute ago I just measure the hole it made was .116 on digital calipers, please explain.

thirty06
10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
frank1947 I measure a group outside to outside minus a bullet diameter.
So a .112 group would be .366-.224=.112

frank1947
10-10-2010, 01:20 AM
oh well you should not -.224 it doesent make that size hole , never heard of that formula only center to center well.366 is very nice thanks for clarifieing that

thirty06
10-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Frank, please explain to me how a .224 bullet only makes a .116 hole in your target?

frank1947
10-10-2010, 04:29 PM
go measure one , thats all it will make in paper, a .308 makes a .202 hole in a 600 yard benchrest target that is a little heavier than paper, the paper retracts i guess i imagine if you shot into wood it would be close to exact, my 6mm br that is.243 has a hole .133, measure your next target hole.

TT3270WSM
10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I just picked up my LVT on Saturday and all I can say is WOW! I'm impressed so far with the fit and finish. The only minor adjustment I have to make so far is to remove about 1/16" from the leading edge of the magazine well in order to fit the factory Savage DBM frame. So come Saturday, the dremel and I have a date with my stock.

MikeCTX
10-14-2010, 07:28 PM
frank1947 I measure a group outside to outside minus a bullet diameter.
So a .112 group would be .366-.224=.112

Would not worry about it, this is one method for measuring groups. If you check the email matches on this site, it is how they suggest measurement.

The size of the hole a bullet makes in a target will depend in part on the paper the target is made of-JMHO

frank1947
10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I measure according to all competition rules center to center I shoot F Class, Benchrest, Varmit, and Hunter Class, Taking off the diameter of the bullet is not a accurate measurment, since all paper will leave a different hole and allways smaller then diameter of bullet, but anyone can measure anyway they want its all kind of like guys who fish catch a 10 inch fish but it ends up 18 inches right.

MikeCTX
10-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Don't disagree Frank, just not everyone is going to go out and by a Neil Jones target-measuring tool. For recreational shooting the subtraction method does work - it DOES give SMALLER readings than what the groups actually is, but you can also have a misreading using the best tools. Since you shoot in F Class, Benchrest, Varmint and Hunter Class I would EXPECT you would want to measure the same in practice as they do in competition. For a recreational shooter...well, none of those targets will be sent in to the records committee.

Good Shooting

frank1947
10-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Mike CTX, good point, practice is a time to better your shooting skills and I compete against my last outing trying to better my shooting, oh well , I gues it botheres me when some brag about some 3 shot group that they deduct the size of bullet when I know there are some proffesionals far better then me who cant shoot that, many years ago about 25, a good buddy of mine I worked with was a big hunter every kind of hunting there is he did, so he told me about this deer he shot at 500 yards, you hear that story every deer season, so I said WOW Mike! Where did you have that gun sighted at, he said I sight at 100 yards , I said how much hold over did you have to put on that buck, he said none, I said Mike you are full of **** that bullet drops 55 inches from 100 to 500 he studdered around a bit, next day he talked to the guy he buys all his stuff from that told him I was right and he had been caught, being good buddies we had a good laugh over it, I said what do you think that bullet has a rocket attached, I gues what I am saying is BS in shooting don't get it for me, I will challenge someone to show me real fast, recently a guy told me he shot a 1 inch group with his AR15 at 200 yards, 5 shot group I don't count 3 shot groups, 3 shot groups show nothing, so I invited him to the range I wanted to see that AR shoot 1 inch at 200 in a 5 shot group, well that has not happened and it won't. Shooting a greaT SPORT but you have to be honest with yourself and others because those of us who know can smell BS a long way , that makes the other guy look real dum.

MikeCTX
10-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah Frank, there are more 'one-hole' shooters on the net than on all the ranges combined...lol. Of course some of it is just not knowing the how or why about measurements..some are honest about how how well their rifle shoots, just not sure how to measure. Links like this one (http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb96how.html) can go a long way in helping folks that like to shoot groups understand. I don't ming the subtraction method as long as the shooters says how they measured the group - anyone who understands the difference will know it IS NOT as small as it measured, but then bet it would still be a really good group. A few of the guys I shoot with at the range are pretty darn good, but to shoot group after group all day just isn't that easy...one good group a great rifle doesn't make, might be a really good rifle/shooter, but great takes a lot of practice and ability(shooting and reading conditions) - as we both know. So, rather than call BS when someone says there rifle shot a .001 group (don't we all wish) I figure the good shooters will know and sooner or later someone will call them out. BS is one thing, but helping a fellow shooter understand the difference is another...the BS shooter would never understand, the guy wanting to shoot a good group will be happy to learn the difference and just might want to go to BR match and see guys that can really shoot...and just how hard it is to do it. If you know what I mean.

frank1947
10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Amen Brother, from early sring to late fall I am shooting, prior to this year I would shoot 500 rounds a month pistol in USPSA and Steel and shoot 50 to 100 rfle but this year only rifle and a bit more rounds then before, I will get back to pistol maybe in Dec. or Jan we shoot year round at my club I just need to get a nerve taken out of my foot in Nov I have not been able to move on my feet all year so no USPSA so hopefully I can get it all back together again, of coarse age is slowing me also but I can't do anything about that. Nice exchanging thoughts with you Mike

Frank

MikeCTX
10-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Good luck with the foot...darn age, it do take it's toll. Funny, just started with a little pistol shooting (22lr)for those times can't get loads made up.