PDA

View Full Version : epoxy bed an accustock?

Idaho
10-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Has anyone epoxy bedded an accustock? When I look at how the action sits in mine it seems less than adequate with almost no support for the action.

steve101610
10-16-2018, 05:50 AM
It won’t support the action very good just sitting in the accustock. It will support it good when the action bolts are tightened. That’s how the accustock works. When you tighten the action down it spreads the sides of the bedding block and holds everything nice and tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaho
10-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've found a discussion on another site about this very question and it winds up where you stated. I've got a new Boyd's being delivered today and I will pillar and epoxy bed the action in that stock. It will fit me better anyway and I will have a used AccuStock for sale.

magnum12
10-30-2018, 09:47 AM
I had the same issue with my 116 Bear Hunter, the action did not sit well in the accustock and the accuracy was inconsistent. I ended up coughing up the coin and put a McMillian on it, now the gun shoots amazing!

Idaho
10-30-2018, 06:37 PM
I had the same issue with my 116 Bear Hunter, the action did not sit well in the accustock and the accuracy was inconsistent. I ended up coughing up the coin and put a McMillian on it, now the gun shoots amazing!

I too replace my accustock with a Boyd's Pro-Varmint that I pillar and glass bedded the action into and it now shoots great.

big honkin jeep
10-31-2018, 12:16 AM
No accustock complaints here. I torque mine with a fat wrench and find them to be outstanding factory units.

In theory if you were to try and use epoxy then when the bedding block opens when tightened the epoxy will probably crack and wind up crumbled in the bottom of the stock or mag well. Granted I've never bedded an accustock. Never found it necessary. But when bedding standard stocks I never have had much luck with a thin skim of epoxy and usually relieve a fair amount of material in the areas where epoxy is to be used in order to get it thick enough to hold up.

JASmith
10-31-2018, 10:06 AM
That alumnum rail in the Accustock gives the same (or better) results as expoxy bedding when the screws are torqued properly.

After all, the recoil lug and screws contact thick aluminum, which is stronger and stiffer than epoxy.

Epoxy bedding will only result in more hassle whenever the stock needs to be dismounted and reinstalled. Might even hurt accuracy.