PDA

View Full Version : All model 10's the same?

Pcc1421
10-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Hello, My name is Cody and I was referred here by some guys at longrangehuntingforum. I am building a budget rifle and I'll admit this will be my first Savage build so I've come to the experts! I am building a 6.5-300wsm on a model 10. I haven't purchased anything yet for the build but my plan is to try to find a model 10 under 500$. But here is my question(s)...

Are ALL model 10's receivers the same? I'm worried that the ejection ports or feed rails will be different on wsm vs say a .308 win. I'm aware the bolt heads are different on standard/magnum calibers but I guess my question is, if I were to buy a model 10 in .308win, could I simply change the bolt head to a magnum head and change the dbm to accept ai wsm cases. I've found that standard model 10's are easier to find than wsm model 10's.

Also, does anyone make aftermarket dbm's for the model 10 if you have a bottom bolt release. Bottom bolt release is all I can find lately but I'd rather have top bolt release.

Lastly, has anyone built a wsm on a small shank action? Does it make much difference in that length of cartridges?

Thanks is in advance.

-C

Robinhood
10-14-2018, 09:04 PM
The savage short action magnums have n 1/8th" longer bolt head with the .535 bolt face . What this means is that the firing pin assembly is longer on the short action magnums than it is with the 308 bolt head.

If you want to go with a SA magnum chambering you will; go with an action that is an original WSM (often the SS model 16's are the only game in town), get a PT&G short action magnum bolt head( that may need extra "fitting" to work) to go with a standard 308/7mm08/243 action(you will not need the longer firing pin because the PT&G piece is the same length as the 308 Bolt head.

You will want to pay attention to the position of the bolt release. The top release has been more popular due to the Sav II and the no longer made SSS triggers not working with the bottom bolt release. There are some issues with stocks and chassis that are prohibitive too but if you do your homework and or plan on using the factory style trigger you should not have any issues. Worth noting though.

4.25 and 4.40 screw spacing. The newer model is the 4.40. Stay with this because you will be able to find factory magazines from midway etc...

Triggers. Acutrigger and non Accutrigger. They have nothing to do with accuracy with the exception that they are safer when you adjust your trigger to light. then you will be on here asking why you cant get your gun to fire....oops. nevermind.

Grouse has this for sale in the classifieds.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?62193-Savage-large-shank-action

If you are a member of Accurate Shooters it is for sale over there too. You will be able to contact him there.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/members/grouse.1058051/

Pcc1421
10-14-2018, 09:44 PM
The savage short action magnums have n 1/8th" longer bolt head with the .535 bolt face . What this means is that the firing pin assembly is longer on the short action magnums than it is with the 308 bolt head.

If you want to go with a SA magnum chambering you will; go with an action that is an original WSM (often the SS model 16's are the only game in town), get a PT&G short action magnum bolt head( that may need extra "fitting" to work) to go with a standard 308/7mm08/243 action(you will not need the longer firing pin because the PT&G piece is the same length as the 308 Bolt head.

You will want to pay attention to the position of the bolt release. The top release has been more popular due to the Sav II and the no longer made SSS triggers not working with the bottom bolt release. There are some issues with stocks and chassis that are prohibitive too but if you do your homework and or plan on using the factory style trigger you should not have any issues. Worth noting though.

4.25 and 4.40 screw spacing. The newer model is the 4.40. Stay with this because you will be able to find factory magazines from midway etc...

Triggers. Acutrigger and non Accutrigger. They have nothing to do with accuracy with the exception that they are safer when you adjust your trigger to light. then you will be on here asking why you cant get your gun to fire....oops. nevermind.

Grouse has this for sale in the classifieds.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?62193-Savage-large-shank-action

If you are a member of Accurate Shooters it is for sale over there too. You will be able to contact him there.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/members/grouse.1058051/

Well I found a model 11 in 300wsm with accutrigger for 388$ NIB. But I can't find an affordable stock/chassis with an adjustable cheekpiece to fit the model 11. B&c have a nice stock for the model 10/12 but for some reason they excluded the 11. It also has the bottom bolt release and I can't find any dbm that will allow an AICS wsm magazine to go with it.

Robinhood
10-15-2018, 12:00 AM
It is the same thing. 10, 11, 12, 14 and 16. The difference is date of manufacture for the most part. All of those listed can be stagger feed magazine or center feed. 4.25(often referred to as flat back) or 4.40 screw spacing(round back). Top bolt release or bottom release. Accutrigger or not. the 2 digit name means a short action in most instances until recently. as far as the bolt release goes, I summed it up in my first post. The bottom release has less options due to the trigger guard. There are options though. Google it, Search for it. Learn about it.

You might want to check the length of the loaded 6.5 wsm. The long action might be a better choice. The AICS SA mags will probably have you stuffing your bullet way back in the case.

Pcc1421
10-15-2018, 08:45 AM
It is the same thing. 10, 11, 12, 14 and 16. The difference is date of manufacture for the most part. All of those listed can be stagger feed magazine or center feed. 4.25(often referred to as flat back) or 4.40 screw spacing(round back). Top bolt release or bottom release. Accutrigger or not. the 2 digit name means a short action in most instances until recently. as far as the bolt release goes, I summed it up in my first post. The bottom release has less options due to the trigger guard. There are options though. Google it, Search for it. Learn about it.

You might want to check the length of the loaded 6.5 wsm. The long action might be a better choice. The AICS SA mags will probably have you stuffing your bullet way back in the case.

AICS mags allow for 2.950 COAL which is not OPTIMAL but I also am not going to cry over 3-4gr of powder I'm losing. I went ahead and made a few rounds and I'd like to get around 3.050 but 2.950 isn't bad at all if I can get my throat reamed for it (or somewhere close).

But let me understand something (I'm new to Savage), the model 11 and model 10 is the same RECEIVER?

See I don't much care about the mags or bolt release. The b&c stock has options of top or bottom bolt release. And I plan on using pt&g or cdi bottom metal and the model 11 I found is already a 300wsm. I'm just trying to figure out if the parts are interchangeable so I don't get stuck.

Thanks c-

Pcc1421
10-15-2018, 09:54 AM

AICS mags allow for 2.950 COAL which is not OPTIMAL but I also am not going to cry over 3-4gr of powder I'm losing. I went ahead and made a few rounds and I'd like to get around 3.050 but 2.950 isn't bad at all if I can get my throat reamed for it (or somewhere close).

But let me understand something (I'm new to Savage), the model 11 and model 10 is the same RECEIVER?

See I don't much care about the mags or bolt release. The b&c stock has options of top or bottom bolt release. And I plan on using pt&g or cdi bottom metal and the model 11 I found is already a 300wsm. I'm just trying to figure out if the parts are interchangeable so I don't get stuck.

Thanks c-

Pcc1421
10-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Sorry for the double post. Not sure how to delete it