PDA

View Full Version : Savage Ashbury .308

toddsigler
10-13-2018, 06:03 AM
I recently picked up one of the Savage Model 10 Ashbury precision rifles and am just going to get started in some load development. Was wondering if anyone has found a bullet weight, powder type and load that is super accurate with this rifle? Thanks!

Robinhood
10-13-2018, 10:28 AM
What you intend to do with your new rile determines to a degree the direction you want to go.

The .308 is probably the most tested and documented round with regards to load development. I have always felt that most of the bullets for that particular cartridge are lacking in the BC department so I push the 308 hard. If you are not shooting any distance or you don't have a range to explore the strengths and weaknesses, it is not necessary to push the 308 hard to get accuracy. A 10 twist barrel will shoot 150 class bullets, however in my opinion easy accuracy results are much better for the 168 and the 175 class bullets. H Varget, Reloder 15, IMR 4064, are some of the most popular powders. There are some other great powders but the majority of bolt action shooters are using these.

"Super accuracy" with the 308 is found in accuracy and repeatability of the the powder scale. Consistent or even neck tension throughout the quantity of brass you are shooting. Primers are not as important at short range as they are long range but the FGMM LR and the CCI200 or BR2 ore a good start.

If you don't have components ye, start with Varget and 168 SMK's. CCI 200 or FGMM primers. Start with new brass of Lapua or winchester. You should find some success near the middle with charges between 42.5-43.0. on the higher end 44.0 to 45.0 with some longer throats up to 46 grains.

toddsigler
10-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the information. I have some Hornady 168gr BTHP and Sierra 165gr HPBT and Varget in my supplies already. I will do some load development with those. I am mainly looking for a long range accuracy gun. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor that is a tack driver. Looking to do the same with the .308. Thanks again!

Idaho
10-13-2018, 10:08 PM
No matter what bullet you settle on you may want to seriously consider giving Alliant AR-Comp powder a try. I've just bought a pound for my .223 and it is giving consistent standard deviation in the SINGLE DIGITS. It is recommended for both 223 and 308. That powder is also very temperature stable. Alliant claims that it was tested from below zero to over 100 degrees with no change in velocity. It is an extruded powder with small grains and works very well in my Lyman powder measure. Good luck.

CFJunkie
10-14-2018, 08:29 PM
I am not sure that another Ashbury .308 barrel would necessarily provide the perfect load for your particular rifle.

I have two almost identical Savage model 10 .308s.
One shoots most accurately with 150, 155 and 168 grain bullets.
The other shoots most accurately with 175, 190, 195 and 200 grain bullets.
Both shoot IMR4064 powder very accurately and one also likes H4895 while the other likes N140.

I also have two Savage rifles in 6.5mm Creedmoor.
One shoots 142 SMKs and 147 ELD-M bullets with IMR4451 powder better than anything else.
The other shoots 130 TMKs and 140 ELD-M bullets with IMR4350 powder better than anything else.
I wouldn't expect another 6.5mm Creedmoor loader to be able to get any help from my loads either unless they already knew which bullet weight their rifle preferred.

I wouldn't know which of my .308 loads or bullets to pick to share with you since your new rifle will probably prefer something else.
Once you have some idea of the bullet weight your rifle seems to like, I would be happy to share loads with you.

yobuck
10-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Don't be selling the 308s short on long range. All the attention today is on the 6.5 cartridges and thats fine.
But the 308s do far better than many people think. We use them extensively for practice shooting at rocks on hillsides at distances of from 400 to over 1000 yds. Great choice for anybody, but especially young and less experienced shooters. The 168 to 175 gr Sierra works just fine over 4320. We just use the blem bullets sold by the pound at Sierra.
The 4320 meters so well we don't even weigh the charges on the rock practice ammo. A 1/10 or 2 don't really matter anyway.
Finding the target in the scope, getting back on target following the shot, and keeping lead in the air while hold correcting off the last shot is whats important for us.
We rarely ever shoot for groups after the load is established. We strictly similate hunting situations, and the 308s work very well for that. We do use brakes on them as it's easier to stay on target and see the hits, and our guns are on the heavy side also.
The young kids have so much fun it's hard getting them to quit.