PDA

View Full Version : only everyother round fires

glock907
10-04-2010, 01:54 AM
I hd some work done on my 110 savage 3006
the bolt was taken down and put back together now only half of my reloads with federal primers go off but none of the factory winchesters fired - need help deer season is comming soon.

GaCop
10-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Do the unfired cases have light strikes on the primer? Your FP protrusion most likely will have to be re-adjusted. It should protrude something like .035" or .040" IIRC.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Either that or the headspace is set wrong, the cases are too short and when you pull the trigger the firing pin pushes the case forward in the chamber to the shoulder and the primer isn't getting hit hard enough??

glock907
10-05-2010, 12:39 AM
i have been told that the some part/s of the bolt can go on 2 ways one way will allow the fP to strike and the other way the FP will not strike hard enough to fire.
what part nis on backward?

borg
10-05-2010, 01:05 AM
i have been told that the some part/s of the bolt can go on 2 ways one way will allow the fP to strike and the other way the FP will not strike hard enough to fire.

Why not let a gunsmith have a look at it?

BillPa
10-05-2010, 01:46 AM

Nothing that I'm aware of can be put inside the bolt backwards. Reading your post I assume both factory and reloads worked prior, so I would eliminate a headspace / head clearance issue only having the bolt apart.

Here are the parts in their general position in the assembly.
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/BillPa10/Guns/BoltParts2-1.jpg

As you can see there isn't really anything that can be assembled backwards.

About the only things I can think of off hand somehow you either backed off the cocking piece ( short pin fall length) or changed the pin protrusion either too long or too short, either one can cause misfires. Another possibility, something stopping the pin short, a chuck of something inside the bolthead shaft.

I'd take it all part and recheck everything. You may want to check/set the protrusion (in the FAQs) and the cocking piece adjustment.

Bill

earl39
10-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I hd some work done on my 110 savage 3006
the bolt was taken down and put back together

what work was done to the bolt? or was it just taken apart and cleaned? was grease or oil used when it was put back together?

glock907
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
i dont think that there was any grease or oil added to the bolt

glock907
10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
i cant see how it could be a head space or short case problem since these reloads had been fired in this gun before and i dont full length case size my cases after they were shot. only the bolt was removed and taken apart. the guy who put a coating on the barrel of my gun and could not put it back together and gave it to another friend who is a gun guy who does some gunsmithing mostly on colts.

dmack
10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
i cant see how it could be a head space or short case problem since these reloads had been fired in this gun before and i dont full length case size my cases after they were shot. only the bolt was removed and taken apart. the guy who put a coating on the barrel of my gun and could not put it back together and gave it to another friend who is a gun guy who does some gunsmithing mostly on colts.

Are you sure the barrel wasnt removed?

BillPa
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM

I suggest taking it to someone, preferably one that knows Savages. At this point its hard saying who done what and how. Without having it on the bench its only a WAG whats going on.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Sounding more and more like a "headspace problem". The guy that put the "coating" on the barrel couldn't put it back together??? And he gave it to someone else to put back together?? ::)
Check the headspace or take it to someone that knows what he's doing. If you deal with a Savage at all, you'll know how to set it up the "proper way". JMHO.