PDA

View Full Version : flat back long action, good candidate for customizing?

vincent7
10-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Ok, so this Pawn shop has an older 25-06 savage with the flat back receiver. Am looking for a receiver to rebarrel / pair with a 26 inch McGowan varmint contour 270win barrel that i already have, but wondering if it's easy to get a boyds pro varmint stock (or similar) to fit this flat back receiver? It's a fixed magazine model.

Done a few short actions, this would be my first long action project. If I remember right I have to look at the spacing length between the 2 action screws, correct? What should be the spacing be to make sure I can get a decent stock for it?

Can get that 25-06 for $310 out the door. It's a right handed action, which isn't ideal for me, since i'm left handed, so i'm actually wondering if it won't be better so spend a couple of hundred $ more to get a new left handed savage Trophy hunter, sell of the parts I don't need and use the left handed action, accutrigger and magazine system..

Thoughts? Thanks!

SageRat Shooter
10-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Dude,

I'm a fellow lefty myself... I went with one of the 2016 11/111 trophy hunter XP packages (right off the shelf) on sale for $400.00 and then tore it apart just for the action... It was a .270 Win, but I swapped out the barrel for a .260 Remington. Sold the Nikon with the rings (for $90.00) and gave the barrel to my boy in case he wants to convert his Axis down the road. I know that you can get the Boyds Pro Varmint for that action because that's what I put on mine. I had to pillar bed the stock to get the accuracy I was looking for.

Good luck man,

I think psharon97 had a flat back for his build, but I can't be 100% on that (it's been a while since I saw that thread). I think he went with a chassis setup though... Could be mistaken...

Measure your action screw spacing (hopefully 4.40") for the newer configurations. But if not that measurement, get the spacing and then go to Boyds website and start checking out what matches for that particular action... Boyds has stayed up with pretty much all of Savages changes over the years... I don't know what they've got for the newest changes Savage made this year with their new 110 line.

olddav
10-04-2018, 07:15 PM
I have an old flat back stagger feed in 338-06 (Shilen barrel), it has an EGW 0moa base. i used the existing stock (wood) and tuned the three screw trigger. Makes a nice rifle.

geargrinder
10-04-2018, 10:15 PM
I have an old flat back stagger feed in 338-06 (Shilen barrel), it has an EGW 0moa base. i used the existing stock (wood) and tuned the three screw trigger. Makes a nice rifle.

Long actions make great platforms to build on. The action screw spacing has never changed. All of the bolt heads and firing pins interchange. A lot less to worry about than wiith a short action build.

That being said, hold out for a lefty, unless this is going to be a bench only gun.

RustyShackle
10-04-2018, 11:05 PM
I would suggest you buy a new rifle. Can be had as a package gun currently for $550 with a Nikon scope. Sell the glass, sell the bbl, and you’ll be right on par with what you’d spend on an older rifle. Just my 0.02.

J.Baker
10-05-2018, 12:31 AM
Nothing wrong with the old flat-backs or staggered feed magazines, so long as you aren't wanting to change to a different cartridge that would require a different mag housing. Yes you can get the Boyds Pro Varmint for it, just select Savage > 110 Top Bolt Release > Long-action, Staggered Feed, Blind Mag, Bull barrel from their menu system.

That said, I would hold out for a used LH rifle or look at a new one if that's what you're used to or would prefer.

strut64
10-05-2018, 06:55 AM
The biggest problem I found with an older flatback is getting the correct scopebase. tTey are not all that common now.

DesertDug
10-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Dnz game ripper has one piece mounts for the flat back. Boyd's stocks will work as baker has stated. If wrong handed is non issue I say go for it.

J.Baker
10-05-2018, 11:27 AM
The biggest problem I found with an older flatback is getting the correct scopebase. tTey are not all that common now.

Still plenty of flat-top base options out there, in both 2-piece and picatinney rail, but probably not something you're going to find on the shelf at a local dealer anymore since the round tops have been in production for 15 years now.

vincent7
10-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Ok, so i just bought a 110 long action, but one with the round back receiver and accutrigger, blind mag, for not all that much more. Now looking at mounts, which one piece mount would you recommend? Trying to find one that gives me a good position behind the scope (not too high or low), plus I want to be able to load from the top without too much trouble.

thought about this one;
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2268422887/nightforce-standard-duty-1-piece-picatinny-style-scope-base-savage-110-through-116-long-action-matte

or this one;
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018662725/egw-1-piece-picatinny-style-base-savage-110-through-116-round-rear-long-action

Action is probably going to end up in a boyds pro varmint and used as a bench gun. Thoughts? Thanks again!

geargrinder
10-06-2018, 08:15 PM
I prefer these ones over any aluminum rail.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/665735/burris-2-piece-xtreme-tactical-scope-base-picatinny-style-savage-10-through-16-110-through-116-round-rear-axis-reversible-front

Simple, cheap, and durable.

MCrab67
10-06-2018, 09:24 PM
Working on a 111 in 7mm Remington Magnum myself. Look around, there a scope bases out there. Just really started getting all of the parts together myself. Trying to see how accurate I can make it without going bankrupt. Picked up a barrel package from EA Brown, Choate Tactical stock, DNZ Hunt Master 2pc bases, Harris bipod and an old Millet scope I had laying around.

Whynot
10-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Long actions make great platforms to build on. The action screw spacing has never changed. All of the bolt heads and firing pins interchange. A lot less to worry about than wiith a short action build.

That being said, hold out for a lefty, unless this is going to be a bench only gun.

Not all of the bolt heads interchange... it is rare- but on some of the older guns the cross pin is drilled at a different position. When you put the bolt head on it positions the lugs at the wrong timing. I had that happen to me on a old 270... and it was all savage original parts. Probably not the case-- but they do exist.

J.Baker
10-07-2018, 01:24 AM
Not all of the bolt heads interchange... it is rare- but on some of the older guns the cross pin is drilled at a different position. When you put the bolt head on it positions the lugs at the wrong timing. I had that happen to me on a old 270... and it was all savage original parts. Probably not the case-- but they do exist.

You must have had a pre-1966 rifle then as all of them made since 1966 have used the current design. Those made from 1958-1965 had the cross pin rotated 90-degrees compared to the current design, and they used a shrouded bolt head design. Bob Greenleaf changed the cross pin orientation deliberately to prevent people from putting a newer bolt head onto an older rifle with a barrel machined for the older shrouded style.

J.Baker
10-07-2018, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

Ok, so i just bought a 110 long action, but one with the round back receiver and accutrigger, blind mag, for not all that much more. Now looking at mounts, which one piece mount would you recommend? Trying to find one that gives me a good position behind the scope (not too high or low), plus I want to be able to load from the top without too much trouble.

thought about this one;
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2268422887/nightforce-standard-duty-1-piece-picatinny-style-scope-base-savage-110-through-116-long-action-matte

or this one;
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018662725/egw-1-piece-picatinny-style-base-savage-110-through-116-round-rear-long-action

Action is probably going to end up in a boyds pro varmint and used as a bench gun. Thoughts? Thanks again!

Given the fact this is a blind mag rifle, I would steer your towards a two-piece mount or a DNZ Products GameReaper mount. This will leave you more room to get your fingers in there to load rounds into the magazine.