PDA

View Full Version : Neck tension

mike10
10-04-2010, 01:05 AM
I use a lee collet die to neck my .308 rounds and i shot my better groups with this die as it does produce rounds with less run out than my standard conventional type dies and yes i have a guage to check them. In the past ive set it up to use the same neck tension grip on the bullet as my forster neck die, but im startin to experiment and sort them into different lots based on different tensions. Is there a point where less is not good? You can hold them in ur hand and seat them with ur thumb. I load small bathes at a time as its very boring to me but out of 16 so far 3 of them literaly feel through the case and i will have to redue those. My two guestions are first the ones that actually hold the bullet but u can seat with ur thumb are they safe? and second with that little of neck tension will they perform or will it hurt acuracy. Any detailed help will be much welcomed.

Joe O
10-04-2010, 05:15 AM
On no turn necks,you will have some differences in neck tention with a given neck bushing,or fixed neck die.However, you do want about .002 tention minimum,on your loaded rounds.Moving the bullet in and out with your fingers is too loose.Without presorting case neck thickness,I seat my bullets to a certain feel,and any that require less or more pressure to seat,I set aside to be ,either redone,or used for fouling shots,depending on the ammount that don't meet my datum pressure.

nova1194
10-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Since I have started anealing my brass I have noticed that the neck tension has become much more consistant and accuracy has improved, some of my brass has been loaded 4 or 5 times and I think some of it was getting kind of hard and I was noticing that some pieces of brass took more pressure to get the bullet seated than others, after anealing they all took the same pressure to seat the bullets.

Mike