PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head swap requirements?

Pages : [1] 2

AbitNutz
09-28-2018, 06:06 PM
I have PT&G bolt head. (I did a caliber change) I've done this before with PT&G. Now it includes a warning that it is not a drop in part and that it should be fitted by a gunsmith. I put in an SSS ejector/extractor kit and then assembled the bolt. I then head spaced the rifle using Clymer Go-No-Go gauges. It cycles fine. I've yet to shoot it.

Exactly what more can I do to it for it not to be a "drop it"?

celltech
09-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Somebody is just covering their a**....enjoy shooting it.

olddav
09-28-2018, 08:54 PM
At the very least check head space.

olddav
09-28-2018, 08:55 PM
I see you did. I’ve got to learn to read some day.

Robinhood
09-28-2018, 10:19 PM
Celltech hit it. Fledgling Savagesmiths cant figure out why their their truck doesn't get better fuel mileage, bolt will not close and their accuracy has not improved after adding a new shiny PTG upgraded bolthead. So PTG sends them to a gunsmith so they can complain to them.

sharpshooter
09-28-2018, 10:39 PM
It's not a cover yer arse thing, 50% of the ones I've installed were out of spec.

Robinhood
09-29-2018, 12:25 AM
I have had trouble ...that I was aware of. Fred, what dimensions were out of spec? Depth of counterbore?

AbitNutz
09-29-2018, 01:42 AM
I have had a PTG bolt head where the ejector hole was too small and rough. You couldn't get an ejector to go in it and whatever size it was drilled to I couldn't find to open it up. So back it went. They of course replaced it immediately and the new one was good.

The only good thing about all of that was that it was the ejector and not the extractor. I have fits getting the ball bearing in there, especially the SSS kit. I think the spring is stiffer, the ball bearing larger and the extractor tighter fitting, making it a nightmare for older eyes and fingers.

However, assuming there is no manufacturers defect, there nothing more than you can do to a bolt head besides setting the head space, no?

sharpshooter
09-29-2018, 02:23 PM
I have had trouble ...that I was aware of. Fred, what dimensions were out of spec? Depth of counterbore?

Depth of counter bore, ejector retaining pin hole out of location, firing pin hole actually champhered on the bolt face, the list goes on. I had one that wouldn't even fit into the receiver, and my biggest *****, they are all drilled for the large firing pin. This lets the firing pin rattle around like a pinball until the tip finally finds the center of the hole. It actually slows the pin down.

Robinhood
09-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Thanks Fred, I miss typed and the above statement and my quote should have said "I have not ..." I have two of them, one never used and the other worked fine. I'm going to check on the firing pin hole diameter. I also remember clearing a hole for the ejector with a #38 or #37 Drill bit.

J.Baker
09-29-2018, 07:52 PM
It's a "we can't be bothered to make them right, so we'll just charge you double what a factory bolt head costs and then put a "requires fitting" requirement on it so we don't have to accept the bad ones when the customer wants to return them.

Robinhood
09-29-2018, 10:30 PM
It seems like PTG outgrew its ability to QA/QC some time ago.

RustyShackle
09-29-2018, 10:43 PM
Guess I’m not regretting just using a savage bolt head on my last build. I was eyeballing a ptg.

AbitNutz
09-30-2018, 06:37 PM
I didn't want this to get into a PTG b*%ch fest but there do seem to be more than a few Q&A problems. That being said, there are sometimes that you don't have a choice. There are some configurations that are impossible to get a hold of from Savage. Also, when PTG gets it right, everything in spec, they're darn nice pieces.
The truth is I've used 5 of them now and had a problem with one of them, the ejector hole was not drilled out to the correct diameter and I had to send it back. To their credit, they game their UPS number and it was returned/replaced within a week. Of course how damn easy it to do it right the first time.

I'm torn. I like them but for the price you should NEVER have be concerned that anything is wrong with it...but I'm sure happy we have this choice to complain about. If they quit making them I would be really unhappy.

mnbogboy2
10-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Hope I don't "need" another one. I couldn't find a Savage head so bought a new PTG.
4 things wrong:
1) Counter bore was about .010 deep (imho). Fix; faced .005 off breech face, leaving .005 between bolt head & barrel.
2) extractor spring hole approx .006 farther from center than a Savage head. Extractor dropped cases. Fix; customized extractor.
3) ejector retaining pin hole too large (retaining pin loose). Fix; made custom retaining pin.
4) ejector retaining pin hole too close to bolt face. Allows ejector to extend up too far and notch in ejector catches on bolt face. No real good fix. Temporarily chamfered ejector notch for easier "re-entry". Could weld the hole shut and re-drill. Best fix would be to replace the bolt head with a "good" savage one.

AbitNutz
10-02-2018, 01:43 AM
Hope I don't "need" another one. I couldn't find a Savage head so bought a new PTG.
4 things wrong:
1) Counter bore was about .010 deep (imho). Fix; faced .005 off breech face, leaving .005 between bolt head & barrel.
2) extractor spring hole approx .006 farther from center than a Savage head. Extractor dropped cases. Fix; customized extractor.
3) ejector retaining pin hole too large (retaining pin loose). Fix; made custom retaining pin.
4) ejector retaining pin hole too close to bolt face. Allows ejector to extend up too far and notch in ejector catches on bolt face. No real good fix. Temporarily chamfered ejector notch for easier "re-entry". Could weld the hole shut and re-drill. Best fix would be to replace the bolt head with a "good" savage one.

WOW! That is awful. Like I said, I've used 5 of them and have not had anything approaching those issues. Mine all went in fine, with the single exception of the out of spec ejector pin hole.

I have noticed that certain "nice to have" features have been removed in the latest one I have. There is no machined out flat space where the ejector pin goes in. There now just a hole.

I hope your bolt head was just a one off piece of junk. If PTG is putting out stuff like that doesn't that call into question everything they make? Is all their stuff junk?

Mozella
10-02-2018, 04:37 AM
As others have mentioned, all you have to do is to reset the head space, either by hiring a gunsmith or by purchasing a go gauge and doing it yourself. Assuming you did that correctly, you're good to go.

I bought a PT&G bolt head for a .223 and it was a piece of crap. Counter-bore too large in diameter and it wouldn't eject the spent case. I spent a lot of time trying to get them to talk to me about the problems, but I never could get past a rude secretary.

AbitNutz
10-02-2018, 06:01 AM
I kinda ran into Jessica the rude secretary as well but she was less rude and more stupid. We quickly settled on getting the bolt head being sent back in, at their expense and she gave me their UPS account number...I sent it 2nd day air, $47.00! It did't come back that way. Truth is, it wasn't the same bolt head. They likely pulled one from stick and checked it out before sending it because the one I got was all good.

mnbogboy2
10-02-2018, 10:45 AM
CNC programming provides for repeatability but does not rebuild a wore out lathe or mill!
If both machines are used it's a setup problem.
If it's an employee problem then it's management's fault!

J.Baker
10-02-2018, 08:46 PM
It's more of a problem with the fact that they don't know diddly about Savage's but still decided to jump on the bandwagon and started making parts for them when Savage's got popular.