PDA

View Full Version : Bell and Carlson stock reviews

steve101610
09-26-2018, 09:09 AM
I have been thinking about changing the stock on my model 10 and have been looking at the Bell and Carlson target varmint stock for a bottom bolt release dbm. I’m looking for reviews on these stocks before I order one so if anyone has one please fill me in on the pros and cons. The rifle has an accustock on it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gargodude
09-26-2018, 05:40 PM
I'm looking at almost the same stock for my Hog Hunter (except I need the top bolt release- model 2014). I also have an Accustock on it and hate it. After looking at the alternatives, the B&C seems to be the best bang for the buck. I have owned 2 B&Cs (on Rem. 700s) so far and both were of excellent quality. In fact, I bought an HS Precision once and returned it due to the poor quality of the fit and finish. B&C does a much better job for less money. I buy direct from them. No point in dealing with Stocky's since the price is the same. I have never had to return a stock to B&C, but when I returned the HS to Stocky's, they charged me a 15% restocking fee.

gbflyer
09-26-2018, 10:58 PM
The old ones were a very thin composite shell over a foam core. Light but pretty flexible. I’m not sure about current.

gargodude
09-27-2018, 01:31 AM
Mine are pretty stiff. Haven't tried to break it in half yet.

chetc
09-27-2018, 09:00 PM
i have the bell & carlson 2997 for my6.5cm no issues

wingspar
09-29-2018, 02:48 AM
Tho not the stock you are looking at, I put the Bell & Carlson Medalist Varmint Tactical stock on my Hog Hunter in .308. It took a fair amount of custom fitting around the trigger and receiver, but once I got it installed, I’ve been in love with it. It’s a heavy stock and it reduced recoil enough so that I decided against a muzzle break. I’m thinking of another Hog Hunter in .223 and will be putting a B&C stock on it when I get it.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/159470803/original.jpg

MS50
09-29-2018, 02:04 PM
I have one on a 308 and 6br, both top bolt release. I had to do minor rotary tool work on both trigger guard slots. Otherwise I like them. They work well for prone bipod position for me. For some reason, I struggle with shot to shot positioning on a bench. This is probably my technique issues on a one size fits all bench. Both are bedded. Both actions and barrels are centered without issue. They're heavy. I'd buy them again.

celltech
09-29-2018, 02:20 PM
I have 2 of the Varmint Tactical and love them. One is for a Savage 12 and the other on a Howa 1500. Both actions dropped in and fit like a glove. When you tighten the action screws you can just feel the lack of slop and stuff having to bend/squirm to make it seat properly.

So everything is not totally perfect. They are not light and I think the forend is a bit thick/wide. But for the price compared to a Manners I will take the B&C all day long.