PDA

View Full Version : Polymer Stock Project - seeking advice

DQL5150
09-26-2018, 05:59 AM
I have a polymer (synthetic) stocked rifle that I'm contemplating some changes to. The rifle is a truck gun and I am satisfied with its performance as such. I don't want to replace the stock with Boyds or the like but the current stock is slippery and has a butt ugly checkering scheme. My idea is to fill the checkering and coat it with a truck bed liner coating. A project if you will.

What can I fill the checkering with that will adhere to a pre-scuffed polymer surface? Through research, I've ruled out JB Weld as I understand doesn't adhere that well to plastic. I'd be interested in a material that I could apply sandable skim coats to the stock without it popping off. Bondo? Marine-Tex?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mnbogboy2
09-26-2018, 11:09 AM
Here's an idea, camo tape. Made this one up for my grand daughter last night. This Tupperware stock has been cut down for the grand kids as they begin deer hunting. She will be the third grandkid to start out with this stock. As her hunting prowess grows she will recieve another caliber and a stock that she wont grow out of.

The checkering was covered with the tape and the "cloth" feel has good grip. Think it would be OK for a truck gun.

Just an idea.5283

DQL5150
09-26-2018, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, mnbogboy. I hadn't considered the camo tape as I was thinking something more permanent. You did a nice job with that rifle though. Did you trim it around the barrel, action, bolt, tang and grip cap? If so, does it stick well where it doesn't overlap itself? Do you remember the brand of the product?

And on a side note, my hats off to you for keeping your grandkids interested in shooting and hunting. I am fortunate to have a father (and grandfather) that taught me hunting/ trapping, shooting skills, handloading, what not... things that shape you. Your grandkids are lucky. Keep up the good work and Thanks.

mnbogboy2
09-26-2018, 04:51 PM
First time I've used it so can't tell you much about it.
It seemed to stick ok on the smooth surface. I did overlap on the checkering. Took the grip cap off and it is folded under the edge. Seems to stretch enough to keep out the "bubbles".

Brand is Allen Mossy Oak #23

1 $4 roll almost covered it (2" x 10'). Just started a second roll.

This stock was originally shortened for another grandkid and a recoil boot was added. Because the boot fit loose duct tape shimming was used to snug it up (ugly). My grand daughter made a last minute decision to hunt and this stock was all I had for her. She will definatly get something better in the future.

big honkin jeep
09-26-2018, 05:02 PM
A sponge camo paint job adds a nice grippable texture to a rifle without being overly rough. Lots of online videos etc. and I like the look. It's done using a sea sponge. I clean the stock with denatured alcohol and then use use rustoleum camo paint topped with testors dull coat lacquer. The carbine was done using green and khaki wide stripes and then go back over it using the opposite color blotted on with a sea sponge. It gives a nice effect and also some texture. Visually the camo hides the checkering pretty well though that wasn't necessarily my intent The choate stock also has some brown and darker green in it but too many colors can get too busy quickly. I'd put it on right over the existing checkering. I have done a few and like the results.52845285 If you really want to remove the checkering sanding it down is probably the best way to go in my opinion. Good luck, have fun.

J.Baker
09-26-2018, 05:43 PM
I would recommend scuffing/sanding the whole stock before painting just to assure good paint adhesion.

mnbogboy2
09-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Big honkin jeep,
I really like the looks of both stocks.
Nice work.

DQL5150
09-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Thank you guys for your replies. This is an 11 Trophy Hunter XP. Shoots just fine, I like most everything about it except the goofy looking checkered squares on the grip and forearm. Just cosmetic but I was hankering for a project. The checkering is too deep to sand out so I was looking to fill it and sand smooth with a top coat of something.

Robinhood
09-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Stone spray paint.

sharpshooter
09-27-2018, 12:41 AM
Heat up a butter knife and trowel it out....;)

jpdown
09-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Clean stock with acetone. Spray with Krylon webbing spray paint. It will give you texture for grip. If you don't like the results, acetone will strip it off.

celltech
09-28-2018, 08:02 AM
This is an Axis Hardwood that I painted FDE with Brownells cold epoxy paint. But if you look closely I first shot the grip and fore area with some stone paint for added grip. Not sure how it would stick to the plastic though....

mudpig
09-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Those sponge paint jobs look great! I'm going to have to try that out!!!

Stumpkiller
09-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Have you thought of trying stippling like Glock owners do with a soldering gun tip?

Lots of Youtube videos on various techniques - some are with impressive results.

Mask off the area with tape to help you keep the lines and the rest is just investment of time.

DQL5150
09-28-2018, 07:10 PM
This checkering is too deep to just sand out. Doing so would still require some filler to make it look right. I'm looking to rough it up, fill it and sand smooth, essentially eliminating the checkering. Then top coat the entire stock with maybe a Rustoleum truck bed liner. I just need to determine what might, as a filler, stick to Savage's polymer stock. I understand some epoxies wont adhere to certain types of plastic. I'm likely to experiment with JB Weld and/or Bondo.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I'll let you know what sticks.