PDA

View Full Version : Stiffening synthetic stock to properly use a shooting sling

Bryan H.
09-25-2018, 08:58 AM
I have been reading a lot of threads about stiffening up the stocks of these rifles. Any tips on what I can do to make the factory stock rigid enough to work well with a shooting sling? I am dead set on using a shooting sling. Recently lost most of my upper body strength due to an old neck injury. I like to shoot offhand, and the only way I can hold a powerful rifle snugly enough to manage recoil (or probably even hold it steady) is with a tight sling.

Stumpkiller
09-25-2018, 01:21 PM
I use a sling as a shooting brace frequently myself.

I solved the issue with a Boyd's stock.

But when I first had the synthetic (not the Accu-Stock) it was tight on the left side. I took a rasp to it and then had a 1/8" clearance on either side of the barrel. I don't believe the sling distorted it that much in firing.

zeroforhire
12-23-2018, 12:45 AM
I've glued in stainless steel bars. It works well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PaddyD
12-29-2018, 05:23 PM
What does the bottom of the barrel channel look like? If it is open with what looks like gussets or webbing molded in you could mix up a bunch of Accraglass epoxy it in and that will really stiffen things up compared to the way it is now. If you could find some real small aluminum angle (1/4" you could embed a 6-8" length of that in the epoxy and it will be even better. I bought an early 110FP Tactical rifle back in the 90's that had the flimsiest stock I have ever seen on a rifle. That's what I did to help it out till I finally replaced it with a Choate Varmint stock.

Bryan H.
03-19-2019, 01:52 PM
I out it on layaway at a pawn shop. Ran into hard times and had to let it go.

Things are going much better now. Back in Texas. Just got a killer deal on a 110 in a Manners stock. No issues with stiffness there. I cant stop playing with it and I havent even fired it yet :)