PDA

View Full Version : Model 10t-sr Poor magazine feeding

Bad Moose
09-23-2018, 08:48 PM
The boy had his first match today. The gun shot like a hammer he hit a 27. Not bad for a 12 yr old shooting 400 to 800 yrds. He didn't get to run her out to 955 yrds just ran out of time on the stages. But anywho, the main problem he had was the magazine. We bought a Savage 9 round mag and on the first to second shots the magazine was not feeding. He'd have to remove it and reseat several times and then it would shoot fine. We had it loaded to 9 for the first three 3 stages and then went to 8 and still no luck. The best thing was he never got rattled, he dealt with it and shot on.

What is causing this? What can we do to eliminate this? 10T-SR 6mm Creed 268 rounds down the pipe. No problems till today.

J.Baker
09-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Exactly how was it not feeding? Bolt not picking up a round? Jamming when pushing the round into chamber? We need specifics here.

Bad Moose
09-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Mainly it was bolt not picking up the round. When it did pick it up there was no problems chambering.

Bad Moose
09-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Ok, I ran the gun today, so a little better info.

At first it wasn't picking up the shells to even feed. So I compared it to the 4 round and squeezed the up "fingers" together, to get it to feed straight. It then started to pick up the shells consistently, but the first round would not feed into the chamber. It would get half way and then the bolt wouldn't "hold" the shell to the chamber. After the first round it fed fine.

We shoot it left handed, both the boy and I. When it was shot righthanded it ran fine.

Now any thoughts? The boy absolutely loves this gun it shoots great as in a consistent center to just below at 600 yards in the wind (10mph). He's got it dialed.

CFJunkie
10-03-2018, 03:35 PM
I have a 10T-SR in 6.5CM and I agree that it is a very good shooting rifle.
The magazine for a 10T is the same as used on a 12 LRP and even for both of my .308s - a old 10 FP and its newer brother a 10 FCP-K.

I have experienced two potential problem areas that you might explore.

Feeding problems for a left handed shooter versus a right handed shooter might indicate differences in how the magazine is loaded.
1) If the mag is fitted with the front first and then the back, the first round will feed but the next rounds won't.
The mag has to be fitted with the back first and then the front slid up until it latches to be sure the second round feeds correctly.
2) After the first round is loaded into the mag it should slide to the left with the front of the mag facing forward.
The second round has to be pressed to the right so it leaves room for the third and fourth round.
If it gets pushed to the left, it slides against the left of the first round and makes it difficult to load the 3rd round on top of it. Sometimes the 3rd round will not feed.
It the 2nd round is loaded out of position, forget about getting a 4th round into the mag.
If the 2nd round is loaded in position, the 4th round can be loaded into the mag.

I'm a right handed shooter so I rarely have a problem with mag loading, but if I am a bit sloppy or get rushed, I find that the second round can occasionally get out of place.
It might be possible that a lefty might hold the mag in a different position when loading and that might tend to press the rounds in a different direction than a righty would.

Other than that, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't feed for a lefty when it feeds fine for a righty.