PDA

View Full Version : How many people....

Pages : [1] 2

DoubleGobble00
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I want to see how many people actually switch their barrels on there savage rifles to different calibers?

The reason I ask is I am thinking about either building another Savage in 6mmbr or just buying a 6mmbr barrel and switch it out periodically. The only thing that concerns me is I have spent a good bit of time on my current 6.5x47 barrel getting it to shoot at the accuracy I want. I am afraid that if I switch out the barrel I might mess up my load when I put the barrel back on the rifle. I can see that your head space will probably change a little and not be exact. I don't know how much accuracy I would loose or if I would loose any.... Anybody have any experience doing this? What were the results?

DoubleG

Galveston22
10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I'll give it a go. I have not swapped barrels but heres what it comes down to. If your barrel is accurate with a particular load and you take it off, wait 5 minutes and put it back on, it will still be as accurate as it was before you took it off. Now point of impact might change, but all you have to do is re-zero.

ellobo
10-01-2009, 07:46 PM
If you match mark the barrel and action on the bottom before you remove the barrel and match up the marks when you return it you should have the same headspace. As Gal 22 said, an accurate barrel is an accurate barrel. The only thing that may change is the zero, and even that should not be much. Bo for it.

El Lobo

skoger
10-01-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a old 110 lA that I have trued up, fixed the trigger, have a .270w/brake, 30/06, and .243 barrell for it. Just put the .270 not too long ago, my wife is elk hunting here in KY with it this Sat. It feeds all of them great and shoots great. I am eyballing a 22-250 heavy barrel for it. Like the post above said, mark barrel and action, keep records, 20 minute barrel change and sight in then. Do it every 6 months.

docsleepy
10-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, I haven't done it YET, but I have the order in for a 6PPC heavy barrel to go onto my 12FV .223. This will require a new bolthead as well, so before I ordered, I practiced taking the bolthead off. That was FAR easier than I expected. Before I did any of this, I bedded the 12FV (with good results).

I opted to order go and no-go headspace gauges for both 223 and 6PPC.

I also have a used 110 in 223. The headspace on it seemed fine when checked with the gages, but the 12FV would just about close on the no-go, which was surprising!

New stock will probably be next.

stevec
10-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I have 3 actions (one not in use yet) and 6 barrels. I swap all the time and never had any trouble with my pet load not working.

Steve

DoubleGobble00
10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info fellas. That helps alot. It seems the only variable that could change would be the headspace and it could only change a couple thousands if it was done correctly. I just wasn't sure if the difference in headspace would affect the accuracy of pet loads. Thanks for the help.

DoubleG

Blue Avenger
10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
3 strikers and at least 12 barrels. only one will not shoot as good as it did before removing it. But then there are other variables involved. Don't have a clue which action, bolt head or stock were originally with it either. Or maybe I need to clean it :)

ctrout
10-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't swap them around at all. Once I commit to a caliber by setting it up and headspacing and buying dies and components, I leave the rifle alone. If I want another caliber, I just set up a new action. An action is probably one of the less expensive components of the rifle once all is said and done.

Scope $200-600
Stock $150-400
Barrel $150-350
Donor Rifle $200
Sell donor barrel for $30
Sell donor stock for $25
Total cost of donor action $145

I guess doing a switch barrel would save you having to buy all the other components as well but each of my rifles is built for a unique enough purpose that none of the components from one would work for the other. I don't want a SSS VLP stock or 6-24 X 50mm scope on my elk rifle and I certainly don't want to run a lightweight sporter stock on my 338 Edge.

hershey
10-03-2009, 06:50 AM
i remove my barrel once in a while just to clean it, i don't even pull the scope or action out of the stock, just a rap w/ a flat punch to untork the nut, then hold the nut still while i spin on/off the barrel, my mark is the mcgowen stamp set to 1 o'clock w/ one full thread showing on the barrel, i've done that 4 or 5 times now and never had to change zero.

PEI Rob
10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I buy another Stevens, then another, then another, then a couple more, then I wonder why in the he** I'm still buying them as I'm giving out the cc number. To be honest, I can't bring myself to buy a 700, just to have another, when the Savage is every bit as good or better and half the price.

fatdaddy
10-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I buy another Stevens, then another, then another, then a couple more, then I wonder why in the he** I'm still buying them as I'm giving out the cc number. To be honest, I can't bring myself to buy a 700, just to have another, when the Savage is every bit as good or better and half the price.

+1 , I have 4 now and I should get 2 mcgowen 6mm BR barrels from Jim shortly.... Bill

oldguy
10-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I've never liked conversion set ups of any type while I'm not saying it won't work it appears to me a waste
of time,possible to be a winner in Benchrest if you can afford hi quality equipment and change barrels for
different events, etc.... Otherwise set up 3 good quality rifles sight them in and use when needed. ;)

stevec
10-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I've never liked conversion set ups of any type while I'm not saying it won't work it appears to me a waste
of time,possible to be a winner in Benchrest if you can afford hi quality equipment and change barrels for
different events, etc.... Otherwise set up 3 good quality rifles sight them in and use when needed. ;)

Some peoples "waste of time" is a hobby (or passion for me ;D) to someone else. I switch barrels, stocks scope regularly and enjoy tinkering with it. I do the same thing with the remmys I own but I preffer to mess with the savages.
All comes down to what you enjoy.

Steve

Bad Water Bill
10-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Being a senior on a very limited budget and minimal storage space Savage is the answer. With just 3 rifles I can change bbls from a 30-06 all the way down to a 20 VT How else can you have 10 rifles that shoot less than MOA for under $1600.00? Figure it out. That is less than $160.00 per gun. Savage bbls are a great bargain and the few minutes it takes to change out the tubes and reset headspace is less time then cleaning another rifle.

stevec
10-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Another good point. If I cant afford to own them all at once, I'll own them all at one time or another.

Steve

DGD6MM
10-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Changing barrel's back and forth and getting them to shoot the same is as easy as changing a tire, also about the same time is involved. Abracadabra poof you are now a new caliber, Alakazam your back again... :D

Opus Dei
08-27-2012, 08:06 PM
I'll give it a go. I have not swapped barrels but heres what it comes down to. If your barrel is accurate with a particular load and you take it off, wait 5 minutes and put it back on, it will still be as accurate as it was before you took it off. Now point of impact might change, but all you have to do is re-zero.I agree, and the same principle applies to swapping scopes. For hunting purposes, removing/replacing a QD scope and barrel will still produce Minute Of Meat results, but it might not satisfy for Benchrest.

joeb33050
08-28-2012, 07:17 AM
I have a Striker originally 14".308 WIN, and a M10 originally 26" .308 Win. Have 14" 22-250, 22" .223 Rem, 22" 22-250, 22" .243, 22" 25-06 barrels, and switch barrels, pistol and rifle, a lot. The 22" barrels have much less noise/blast in the Striker, as does the heavy 26" barrel. Less recoil. I can't see any reason for another bolt action-but I enjoy changing barrels.
joe b.

03mossy
08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
I have and older model 10 large shank action that came as a 7saum, I sold that barrel and have it set up as a 270wsm sporter barrel as my deer rifle. For the summer I switch it all up. I switch it to a 204 Ruger Bull barrel, choate varmint stock, different bolt head, different blind mag, different bolt handle. switch it from controlled round feed to push feed. So basically every part but the action gets swapped. It takes about 2 hours with cleaning the parts I remove to do the swap, and I enjoy every minute of it!