PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: My 220 20ga was a major disappointment the range!

Pages : [1] 2

marku
10-03-2010, 05:38 PM
:'( :'(

Well I adj the hunter accutrigger down. To me it doesnt feel like a 2.5lb trigger more like 3-3.5. Then I bought 5 boxes of Federal 3" polymer tip slugs. One of the 3 Savage reccomends. I also have the EGW base, warne rings and a Nikon M223 on top of it (shockproof scope).

So I take it out to 50 yards to get it on paper and first shot I do. Ive shot alot in my life shot some 2" groups at 600 yard with my F Class rifle, so im not a newb by any means. So i put it in my Caldwell DFT and shoot 2 more shots. It was around a 3" group at 50 yards. I was a little bumed out. So anyway I went out to 100 yards. 6" groups that were all in a circular grouping around the middle diamond. Id shot one then it would move, then finally it would group right next to another shot?

So I dont know what going on. Im going to try some Accutips next and if they dont shoot im sending it to Savage to have them take a look at it. I would expect a slug that Savage recoomends would shoot better than that. My old rifled slugs out of my Winchester 1400 shot better at 50 yards than that.

ellobo
10-03-2010, 07:51 PM
If you have a wandering point of impact it more than likely is the scope. Try another one. If my el-cheapo Mossberg 20 ga. rifled barrel will shoot MOA at 100 yds with open sights and 74 yr old eyes, so should yours.

El Lobo

marku
10-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I was thinking that. Its a brand new scope but I guess that doesnt mean anything. It was grouping erratic. first would be 2" left of the bullseye then the next shot would be 3" low then 3" right of the bullseye. Then the next shot would touch the one that was 2" left of the bull. Ive got a EFR 6.5-20 that I know wont break under the recoil.

EFBell
10-03-2010, 08:05 PM
make sure ytour base is good and tight. Long screws can be a problem.

marku
10-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Im going to check everything over again but when I last checked the base was tight. Also Im going to order one of Fred fluted bolts for the 110 LA, does anyone have some info on how to disassemble the bolt. I know how to change the handle.

pdog06
10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
A bolt body out of a 110 action wont fit on this shotgun, incase that is what you are thinking. The shotgun bolt is fatter.

Mine just loves the Federal 3" Barnes expander slugs. It hated the 2-3/4 Accutips.

As for the trigger, I didnt check the pull weight on mine to see if it would go down to 2.5 or not(and Im fine if it is 3.5lb), but it is ALOT better than the 7-8lb trigger on my old 870 remmy.

If your POI is moving back and forth like that then something is loose. Is the scope brand new or did you have it on another gun? I would try another one since you have a spare just to prove it good or bad.

marku
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
That stinks. I might see if Kampfeld will flute it. Or maybe I can send mine to Fred to have it done. The trigger isnt bad im just getting used to the Accutrigger. The scope I took off my other slug gun which was a 3.5" ga custom Bullberry barrel. I dont hear anything rattling inside, but im going to install another scope to try it out again.

marku
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
pdog

Will the SSS tactical bolt work on this 220f?

Ive got a M40 Mcmillan stock coming for it in a couple months. Just wanted it to look differently from everyone else standard 220f

marku
10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
well i measured the bolt and it was .770 diameter.

I shook the gun and heard a rattle. After taking the scope off those little silver lugs that are used with Warne rings is rattling back and forth on the base. That cant be good. So ive got the EFR and warne tactical rings ive never had a problem with im going to try out tomorrow.

savagejunkie
10-04-2010, 06:00 PM
I had the same type of Warne rings on my MKII FV and it wouldn't group for squat. I thought they were tight, but there is still a bit of play in there sometimes. I just decided to use a different brand of ring. I love that EGW base . I would try different rings before you went and tried a new scope, cheaper too.

Here is what it used to look like with the Warne rings and EGW base

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww156/killswitch12_2009/CIMG0415.jpg

pdog06
10-04-2010, 06:09 PM
If those things are rattling then use some new rings. Bet it fixes it.

As for the bolthandle, I am pretty sure that it will fit but I have not taken the bolt apart to make sure yet. I do know that EFBell and Trappst did take their bolts apart so Im sure they can verify whether it fits or not.

trappst
10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Just eye-balling the 220F bolt and a Stevens long action, the handles appear to be the same. As pdog said, I've had mine apart but I didn't pay much attention to the bolt handle....I like the over sized knob that's on it. The guts of the bolt are completely different though.

As far as your accuracy issue, you're on the right track....different rings or get some Warne bases. My 220F wears a Warne 1pc. tactical base and Burris Sig Zee rings (high) w/Nikon Slughunter.

marku
10-04-2010, 10:49 PM
trapp were in Illinois are u at? Im just outside Springfield

Also I called Warne today and asked them whats going on? According to Warne, the lug is suppose to contact the front of the base and can alter the impact if not installed correctly. Im just going to a different ring all together. Ive got my 6.5-20 on there now just for accuracy testing now. It looks like a beanfield rifle.

marku
10-04-2010, 10:51 PM
ur just east of Tuscola. I do some shopping over there. ;D

trappst
10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Yep, yep.......southeast of Tuscola about 40 minutes or so over by the Indiana state line.

I bedded the front pillar and lug on mine mainly to get the barrel centered in the stock. I did pick up another box of Federal Barnes Tipped slugs to try one more time. The accutips shoot well for me but after bedding I shot the remaining two Federal rounds I had left and they almost touched at 100 yards. Figured it might be worth another try.....that Federal load is by far the hardest recoiling load I've shot in my 220 so far.

Don - LongRangeSupply
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
trapp were in Illinois are u at? Im just outside Springfield

Also I called Warne today and asked them whats going on? According to Warne, the lug is suppose to contact the front of the base and can alter the impact if not installed correctly. Im just going to a different ring all together. Ive got my 6.5-20 on there now just for accuracy testing now. It looks like a beanfield rifle.

You need to push the rings forward firmly as you tighten them down on the rail so that the insert is pressed tightly against the edge of the slot in the rail. Also tighten them to the recommended torque that Warne provides.

marku
10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Well ive tried to contact SSS and they are impossible to get ahold of! I just wanted to know if they sent my spring out yet?

pdog06
10-05-2010, 05:58 PM
that Federal load is by far the hardest recoiling load I've shot in my 220 so far.

I'd say.... I couldnt believe the difference between the 2-3/4 and 3" in recoil. And figures, mine likes the hard hitting ones the best. I never noticed that much of a recoil difference with my 12ga.

EFBell
10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Yep, these little bugger's got a pretty mean bark!

marku
10-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Well send the bolt off to Kampfeld custom to get it Ti fluted and then coated in Stainless cerakote. SHould look great when its done