PDA

View Full Version : New to forum.....?

Granite
09-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Hi , I 'am new to this site. I have a question on a savage 110e j series 7mm mag. I recently inherited my brother in laws guns. Emptied the gun safe , but found this one tucked away. We have hunted and shoot together for years. I have never seen this gun before , it is completely camoed with a decent scope. I took it to a range and shot 3 shot groups cleaning between each group. There was a laminated card for doping ranges on the stock. At 200 yds. the group was under 1 inch and out to 500 yds. it was under 2 inches . The barrel appears to be stock as does the rest of the gun . I have never shot a savage , but there is no way a stock rifle will shoot like that. I have not disassembled the rifle ,but can anyone tell me what he might have done to it to get that kind of accuracy.

mudpig
09-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Probably NOTHING. I've got several bone stock Savage rifles that will shoot well under 1/2 MOA when I do my part. (22-250, 7mm-08, 338LM)

Enjoy the rifle :D

Granite
09-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Thank you mudpig , I have decided to strip the camo and see what was done if anything. Their is a serial number on the bolt and some bedding on the stock and noticed a adjustable trigger. I will keep this rifle and will likely look into more savage rifles. most of mine are built on Remington actions. Thank you!

DesertDug
09-22-2018, 09:36 AM
That sounds like a good idea

wbm
09-22-2018, 12:49 PM
but there is no way a stock rifle will shoot like that

In general I agree. However I have had two stock Savage rifles in 7mm Magnum that did just that. One was a Weather Warrior that had the old side of the stock button to release the magazine. Stainless Fluted Barrel with On/Off Muzzle Brake. The other was one Savage released that had a magnum contour barrel with a non removable muzzle brake. I still have the groups both shot in my notebook. They were phenomenal.