PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas savage 12 lv

rebs
09-17-2018, 09:59 AM
would the cabelas savage 12 fv be a good rifle for benchrest shooting between 100 and 300 yards ? Is it good to go right out of the box or does it require upgrades ?

micky_blue
09-17-2018, 03:11 PM
are you competing or just punching paper for fun?

Evlshnngns
09-17-2018, 03:51 PM
I would get the model 12 Benchrest in 6br if that is what you are after. The stock, cartridge, and trigger are better for that game.

I use my 12fv 6.5cm on the bench primarily, ignorance is bliss. I added a cheek riser and weight too the stock, adjusted the accutrigger spring and cleaned the barrel. My current reloading and shooting skills would leave me embarrassed at any form of competition. I'm learning, and its fun playing at the reloading bench.

SageRat Shooter
09-17-2018, 04:23 PM
would the cabelas savage 12 fv be a good rifle for benchrest shooting between 100 and 300 yards ? Is it good to go right out of the box or does it require upgrades ?

My opinion is that it needs at least a stock upgrade. The forend is much to flimsy to be consistent off bags or bipod because of how easily it flexes. A good Bobby Hart LRT or something similar is my suggestion.

charlie b
09-18-2018, 08:46 AM
If short on cash you can stiffen up the original forend, but, it is a bit light for bench shooting with the plastic stock. I put a Boyd's stock on my axis and I can hold on target much easier with the extra weight.

FWIW you might try it out of the box and see. My original plastic stock never touched the barrel, even though it did flex a bit. But, I don't put a lot of downward pressure on the forend.

Unless you are competing you may like it the way it is.