PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16 300 WSM action questions

Pages : [1] 2

Front Royalty
09-15-2018, 11:17 AM
I'd like to know if the newer 300 wsm actions are large or small shank, and whether the screw spacing is 4.4", and whether a model 16 300 wsm barreled action with dbm and bottom metal could be swapped directly into a chassis/stock inletted for short action dbm. Of all the possible ways to build a 300 wsm, buying an action already set up for it and slapping it into a new stock with rebarrel seems the least labor intensive. Thanks in advance.

Robinhood
09-15-2018, 02:42 PM
The WSM action is large shank. It has the 4.4 screw spacing.

Front Royalty
09-15-2018, 06:45 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it also uses a 9/16" bolt lug, preventing a simple bolt head change to go from 308 to wsm in a model 10 action.

Front Royalty
09-15-2018, 06:47 PM
The WSM action is large shank. It has the 4.4 screw spacing.

Thanks buddy.

Front Royalty
09-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Are the newer model 16 actions push or controlled feed?

Disregard: Savage FAQ'S reveal the WSM went from CRF to push feed in 2009.

Robinhood
09-16-2018, 12:05 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it also uses a 9/16" bolt lug, preventing a simple bolt head change to go from 308 to wsm in a model 10 action.

This is true, I had put this data in my original reply but decided that since you stated you were going to replace the original barrel with another WSM, I deleted that data.

Front Royalty
09-16-2018, 01:27 PM
This is true, I had put this data in my original reply but decided that since you stated you were going to replace the original barrel with another WSM, I deleted that data.

No worries. I'm still exploring the idea of a donor action, non WSM, being converted to a WSM. My heart wants a Target action with a WSM bolt head. Unfortunately that, and just about any other non WSM action, would require some smithing that I'm just not able nor willing to perform.

Am I overlooking anything, besides the obvious custom action route?

Robinhood
09-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Why could you not use a PTA with a LA Magnum bolt head? A bolt head can be modified with ease. Inquire within.

Front Royalty
09-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Why could you not use a PTA with a LA Magnum bolt head? A bolt head can be modified with ease. Inquire within.

Show me the light, wise one.

geezerhood
09-16-2018, 11:10 PM
No worries. I'm still exploring the idea of a donor action, non WSM, being converted to a WSM. My heart wants a Target action with a WSM bolt head. Unfortunately that, and just about any other non WSM action, would require some smithing that I'm just not able nor willing to perform.

Am I overlooking anything, besides the obvious custom action route?

I have run several WSM barrels on several non WSM actions, both small and large shank, factory and custom barrels. As I recall I didn't have to do any modifications to the actions or the bolts other than to possibly fit a magnum bolt head to the bolt body or firing pin depending on which bolt head I had available at the time, which was a piece of cake. What other smithing might need to be done?

Robinhood
09-17-2018, 06:26 AM
As I recall I didn't have to do any modifications to the actions or the bolts other than to possibly fit a magnum bolt head to the bolt body or firing pin depending on which bolt head I had available at the time, which was a piece of cake. What other smithing might need to be done?

Thats it. Out of the three options the PT&G is number one then the LA magnum, then the SA magnum bolt heads are the way to go. The later require some tinkering.

Front Royalty
09-17-2018, 08:40 AM
The wsm cartridge has a rim diameter of .535. A standard magnum bolt head is .532. A wsm bolt head has a 9/16" lug. Standard magnum bolt head is 1/2". Am I confused in these numbers?

Front Royalty
09-17-2018, 08:43 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?131-Savage-Bolt-Head-Configurations

geezerhood
09-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Thats it. Out of the three options the PT&G is number one then the LA magnum, then the SA magnum bolt heads are the way to go. The later require some tinkering.

Thanks Robinhood. I thought maybe I was overlooking something I hadn't encountered before.

The wsm cartridge has a rim diameter of .535. A standard magnum bolt head is .532. A wsm bolt head has a 9/16" lug. Standard magnum bolt head is 1/2". Am I confused in these numbers?

The WSM cases I have all fit in any Magnum bolt face I have on hand. I do not have any of the short action heavy magnum (9/16" lugs) bolt heads, but they sure do look comforting for a WSM or 338 Edge build until you think about the thickness of the action where the lugs mate. My guess is that the weakest link in the bolt head lug / action lockup area strength equation is the locking "lug" area of the action itself. On a fairly new center feed action the bottom lug area is only about 1/10 of an inch thick at the top of the feed ramp and approx 0.4 at the bottom. The upper lug is the same 0.4x from top to bottom. On an older stagger feed factory 300 RUM action the flat at the top of the feed ramp is less than 0.05" thick! Of course it does get thicker as you move out around the circle, but that still seems like a tiny amount of metal to contain it's share of "half" of the bolt face thrust.

Front Royalty
09-17-2018, 01:16 PM
Savage PTA's are short action. The long action magnum bolt head and short action magnum bolt head are not interchangeable, per the link above. Therefore, a short action wsm specific wsm bolt head and short action wsm receiver would be required. That would be the only way to go. Otherwise, smithing would be required to install a long action magnum bolt head on a short action bolt (read PTA), or receiver smithing would be required to allow a wsm short action bolt head to fit in any non wsm (read PTA) short action receiver, since the lug is 1/16" longer.

Clear as mud?

It does sound like a long action with mag bolt face could be used, but that rules out the PTA.

Unless PTG is making short action Magnum bolt faces, which is the part I may be missing...

Front Royalty
09-17-2018, 05:43 PM
We would still have the issue of a .535 diam rimmed case in a .532 bolt head though.

geezerhood
09-17-2018, 06:16 PM
We would still have the issue of a .535 diam rimmed case in a .532 bolt head though.

I am pretty sure you don't need to do anything to the action to accept any of the various bolt heads that are out there. With a thicker bolt lug you just set the barrel out that extra amount when adjusting headspace. Unless I am missing something, the only "smithing" that might need to be done is on the bolt head and / or adjusting the firing pin. I have 0.532 and 0.535 CF and PF bolt heads that I swap back and forth between various long and short actions all the time. None of the actions have required any modification. The WSM .535 cases that I have (Winchester brand) fit every Magnum bolt head that I have, dating from less than 2 years old on a center feed short action through various short (with both screw spacings) and long actions that I have on hand with no problems. I have not found that the additional 0.003" makes any difference on the cases. There is still some slop from side to side in the old 0.532" PF bolt heads with the WSM cases.

I do not have a single shot target action so that would likely be the only one that I have no experience with on swapping bolt heads about. Is there something unique about those that would prevent such a move?

Front Royalty
09-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Looks like the PTG short action Mag bolt face is .550", not .532" Now to determine if the lugs are 1/2" or 9/16".

Front Royalty
09-17-2018, 06:36 PM
With a thicker bolt lug you just set the barrel out that extra amount when adjusting headspace.

This is what I was missing. I assumed the lugs wouldn't fit in the receiver, and that the receiver had recess sizes that matched the lugs.

Front Royalty
09-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Problem solved. Thanks everyone. I knew I was missing something and will now be confident in my PTA .300WSM target build.