PDA

View Full Version : Used 110E - Noob Question

JRFTEX
09-12-2018, 02:55 PM
I found what I believe is an older model of the 110E. It's a 30.06 with a light colored checkered stock, few dings, fair bluing, no rust or pits and no scope. Hard to describe it better without a serial number to date it by but it appears to have aged honestly - meaning not abused just used.

Never personally owned a Savage but have heard they are very accurate and well made rifles.

They are asking $350 but I don't think it's worth that. I was going to offer $300 out the door but wanted to get some expert advice on what to look for. Does the 110E have any gremlins I should look for? I've heard the triggers are pretty rough at one time.

Thanks.

SageRat Shooter
09-12-2018, 03:19 PM
I'd say $300.00 it's a fair offer for it... You won't find many out there for less than that. If nothing else, you have a very functional action that you can build what you want... The Barrel nut is your friend!! I had to spend $400+ for one of the brand new 111 rifles in .270 win and all I wanted off of it was the action.

as far as the trigger goes... You'll have to try it to see if it's a rough one or a smooth one. I had a 30-06 back in the late 80's that had a great trigger on it. If I'd have known then what I could have done with it today,(IE putting new barrel and stock on it) I'd have never sold it.... Even with the little 20" barrel it had on it.

DesertDug
09-12-2018, 04:26 PM
The 110E model was the "economy" model. Action and bolt the same as others, just a different cheeper stock, as I understand.
$300 seems like a fare price and if you so desire can be a base for a great build as SageRat has suggested. I have a 110e .270 winchester that I am currently needing in a Boyds Stock and have a new barrel for. No pit falls to watch out for that I can think about.

JRFTEX
09-12-2018, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like the 110 is a good gun. It just struck me funny that both of you mentioned it could be a good platform to build on. Seems pretty good like it is if it shoots straight, but I'm a Marlin XL owner, and not to knock Remlin, but I don't consider it equal to Savage I was fairly impressed with the feel of the 110 and especially the bolt. It didn't feel like a $1200 gun but it didn't feel like my Marlin either. Could be the wooden stock that gave it an overall hefty-solid feel tho. I'm all for progress and lightweight polymers when needed but I sure miss the feel of solid wood.

I'll post back if I get it. If you know of anything else I should look for please let me know.

Thanks,
Randy

DesertDug
09-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Post pics up

sharpshooter
09-13-2018, 01:13 PM
The 110E was built during Savages darkest times, and is probably the worst quality of any guns that they put out. If you are looking for a donor gun for a project, I would pass and look for something newer, preferably something with nothing older than a "G" prefix.

JRFTEX
09-15-2018, 10:11 PM
I guess it wasn't meant to be. Went back for another look and found a crack in the stock parallel with the bolt. Thought maybe if the guy came down enough I'd get a replacement but he all but stopped talking once I pointed out the crack.

His silence and not knowing what caused the crack were enough for me to walk away. Darn shame tho. For some odd reason I was really drawn to that gun.

Thanks for the advice and info. I'll be back when I find another!