PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 fcp 338 lm

vancev
09-04-2018, 07:45 PM
I have been looking at the 110 fcp in 338 lm and I was wondering when I get ready to change the barrel can it be swaped to a large shank 300 win mag barrel and change the bolt face?

im trying to establish if I can scale down the lapua action for more moderate use on the day to day since it will have my high end scope and chassis. But I’m not sure the main differences in the actions

bearcatrp
09-05-2018, 09:24 PM
I asked that question before I purchased mine. From talking to others, you should be able to. But after me and another guy went to a 1000 yard range, he was shooting a 300 WM, and me shooting my 338LM, he had some issues banging the gong while I hit 10/10. His hits seemed meh, my 285 ELD-M rocked the steel gong with authority. Needless to say, I won’t be swapping to 300WM. Forgot to mention, let him shoot mine. Biggest shit eating grin I have seen in awhile. He is considering upgrading.

geezerhood
09-09-2018, 12:11 PM
I was going to do what you are considering - setting up my 338 LM actions and stocks with some large shank barrels so I could swap barrels around on them. After some more thinking, since all but four of my actions are small shank and one is a short action and 95% of my barrels are small shank, I decided instead to keep the 338 Lapua barreled action as is and swap out the action with a standard small shank long action and barrel of choice when I wanted to use the expensive DM stocks / chassis with another caliber besides 338 LM. I am sticking with small shank actions as much as I can since I already have so many. I didn't want to double up with more large shank barrels just to fit the 338 LM actions. Every long action I have tried has worked perfectly with the Savage "Hunter" Acutrigger stock, HS Precision FCP and my two MPA chassis, even some really old staggered feeds from the 70s with no modification other than replacing the recoil lugs with an Accutrigger style lug for use in the Accutrigger stock. Regular and oversized lugs fit well in the other three stocks.

You might want to check out this thread of mine where I was able to run various long actions with 308, 300 WSM, 300 RUM, 338 Edge and 338 LM on what were originally 338 Lapua stocks / chassis using the Accurate Mag 3.850 length magazines for everything.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?62005-One-removable-mag-stock-setup-for-308-through-338-Lapua